A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
This position will be responsible for the development and optimization of products and strategies that increase the efficiency of high r-protein producing cell lines for biopharmaceutical applications. The principal duties and responsibilities associated with this position will be the design and execution of research experiments and activates focused on improving CHO host cells and expression systems for the generation of high producing stable cell lines used in the manufacturing of recombinant therapeutic proteins. Key roles and responsibilities include:
- Works primarily independently requiring only management input at project initiation, unusual data acquisition, or unusual customer requests.
- Functions as project lead in scoping projects with clearly defined goals and timelines.
- Guides junior scientists in the design, execution, and interpretation of scientific experiments.
- Direct customer interactions based on individual projects.
- Build and maintain intimate relationships with scientific teams, often leading to additional sales/service opportunities.
- Active role in sales and marketing support. Write/reviews relevant marketing media.
- Understands major drivers in the industry to assist in guiding new product development and process improvements.
- Provides product and service capabilities training to sales and marketing teams.
- Interacts and collaborates scientifically with both internal and external groups, often working across multiple functional teams (R&D, project management, marketing, sales, manufacturing) to deliver on primary project goals, assist other groups with their goals and develop new business opportunities.
- Excel in a team environment through concise and transparent communication and effective cooperation.
- Independent time management and project prioritization in line with team goals and objectives.
- Capable of leading multiple projects of moderate to high complexity.
- Understands priorities and completes the volume of work required for meeting project goals and timelines.
- Independent and efficient design and execution of research projects/experiments while demonstrating a high level of scientific achievement and understanding.
- Capable of exercising significant judgement when analyzing complex data and troubleshooting unexpected results.
- Effective and concise communication, both independently and in a team environment.
- Provide oral presentations to internal and external audiences (group meetings, customer presentations, scientific conferences).
- Maintain laboratory notebook with detailed experimental designs and results.
- Author scientific reports and publications.
- Generate intellectual property, generating invention disclosures and drafts for patent applications to protect new products and ideas.
- Edit others’ written work.
- Reads and understands scientific literature in primary focus areas as well as adjacent markets.
- Proactively seeks out new information and opportunities to advance group technologies, products and services.
- Perceived as a scientific resource/expert both internally and externally.
- Performs work according to company guidelines for safety and regulatory compliance.
- Assist in the transfer of products from R&D to manufacturing and QC.
- Contribute to support functions of the lab (cleaning, equipment maintenance, reagent prep, etc.).
Who You Are:
- Ph.D. in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry or closely related science with 0-3 years of post-graduate research and development experience in the biopharmaceutical or similar industry, or B.S./M.S. degree in life sciences with 6+ years in the biopharmaceutical or similar industry with emphasis in biomanufacturing cell line and process development.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and recombinant protein expression, generation of stable CHO cell lines expressing high levels of biotherapeutic proteins.
- Experience with mammalian cell line engineering/genome editing via RNAi, Zinc Finger Nuclease and/or CRISPR technology.
- Standard molecular biology techniques including molecular cloning, genomic and plasmid DNA purification, RNA isolation, PCR and RT-PCR and the ability to design basic and engineered recombinant protein expression constructs.
- Experience with large scale transient transfection and expression in CHO cells.
- Basic knowledge of protein and monoclonal antibody purification methods.
- Working knowledge or hands-on experience of fed-batch and perfusion bioreactor processes running bench-top bioreactors and single use bioreactors.
- Working knowledge of bioinformatics
- Competent with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and statistical software packages.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.