A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The role of the Emerging Biotech Business Development Account Manager is to continually and consistently increase MilliporeSigma’s market share in early phase and preclinical molecules, utilizing Molecule Pipeline data, Business Intelligence Tools and Social Networking to prioritize and engage with customers and prospects to solve their unique challenges; and to identify new business opportunities.
As a member of the Pharma Processing Americas team, the EB BDM will seed critical Process Steps such as raw materials, organic and inorganic buffers, cell line expression systems, Process Development services, cell culture media and media development services, along with the entire product and services portfolio for downstream clarification and purification to the startup biotech customer base in the San Francisco Bay area. The EB BDM will create value for both the customer and for MilliporeSigma. You will strategically manage projects and resources to ensure early seeding for future long term profitable growth. You will increase MilliporeSigma’s market share, emphasize differentiation from MilliporeSigma’s competitors, and build upon MilliporeSigma’s reputation for excellence within your territory.
- Ensure that the quarterly and annual seeding targets are achieved, by gaining market share (e.g. competitive conversions, customer expansions, etc.), maintaining market share (e.g. process optimization, adding value, etc.), and seeding MilliporeSigma products in the customer´s pipeline
- Develop a detailed strategic plan to manage your territory; maintain, protect, and seed your business for both short and long-term revenue growth
- Know and be known by your customers; maintain a regular presence within territory
- Identify your customers’ needs/goals/challenges, and provide solutions to fulfill their needs through the proper positioning of MilliporeSigma products, services, and/or knowledge/expertise
- Inform, train and influence customers
- Identify and map the key biotech clusters, incubators, key stakeholders and decision makers around projects and opportunities in your territory
- Secure targeted meetings to identify and advance opportunities with your customers
- Follow-up on leads in a timely fashion
- Close action items and customer requests completely and in a timely fashion
- Attend tradeshows and provide booth coverage as needed
- Lead and organize internal partners around presenting to, or supporting your customers; provide input and direction on content, customer needs/drivers, audience profile, etc.
- Create and deliver presentations; coordinates appropriate resources for customer visits
- Provide, accurate, detailed forecasts for your territory
- Coordinate and participate in customer technical visits, product shows and “lunch-and-learn” programs
- Utilize sales tools regularly and properly in order to gain efficiencies and document customer interactions (CRM, tablets, literature, etc.)
- Complete all required training in a timely and thorough fashion
- Work collaboratively with business partners (customer service, technical service, field marketing, technology management, demand planning, etc.)
Who You Are:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a Life Science field with 3+ years of experience in the Life Sciences industry or a Master’s Degree in a Life Science field
- 3+ years’ experience with pharmaceutical and biotech drug product development processes/unit operations
- Fluent English required
- Ability to travel within territory (with occasional overnight stays) to optimize customer engagement. Occasional national or international travel required
- Sales experience is highly preferred and equivalent strong scientific background is a plus.
- Candidates must demonstrate a natural affinity to influence and/or sell to all levels of an organization.
- Ability to network within customer base, build and maintain strong relationships; builds credibility and trust
- Self-motivated, assertive, takes initiative and works independently
- Plans time and priorities in an effective manner to achieve goals for sustainable results
- Innate curiosity with an understanding of how curiosity benefits all
- A committed learner, dedicated to continuously increasing knowledge and skills
- Decisive: knows how to build a solid case and can drive a decision when appropriate
- Demonstrates ability to persuade, through logic and bottom-line reasoning
- Possesses exceptionally strong conceptual skills – can see the big picture and can translate it compellingly in writing and speech
- Talented at listening to the expressed needs and wants of others
- Uses skillful questioning to draw out information for diagnosing a situation
- Evaluates results and makes adjustments to achieve better business outcomes; learns from mistakes
- Perceives the impact and the implications of decisions on other components of the company as well as the impact on clients and suppliers
- Able to work closely with functional support organizations to effectively achieve goals.
- Understands the basics of pricing and can articulate the value or reasons behind pricing
- Utilizes effective negotiation skills; generates results with positive outcomes for both parties
- Generates accurate business forecasts
- Possesses the ability to assesses a situation, the people and temperament, and uses that information to guide thinking and behavior
- Anticipates areas of conflict, manages disagreement, and works toward resolution
- Shapes opinions of key stakeholders
- Respects the needs and contributions of others
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.