A career with EMD Performance Materials is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Performance Materials is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Environment, Health, Safety, and Security (EHSS) Specialist
Continuous improvement role working with site management on the reduction of injuries and incidents, ensuring compliance with environmental, occupational hygiene, safety, and security regulatory and internal requirements. Assist site management in maintaining current EHSS management system certifications: ISO 14001, OHSAS18001, RC14001, and achieving ISO 45001
Position provides Industrial (Occupational) Hygiene, Safety, Security & Environmental assistance to site management in the prevention of occupational injuries (and illnesses) and emissions to the environment. This position possesses many of the technical skills of Safety Specialists / Engineers, Environmental Specialists / Engineers and Industrial (Occupational) Hygienists. This position is dedicated to single site support.
Essential Job Function:
- Ensure site personnel are competent in performing Risk Assessments and ensuring needed Risk Assessments are completed
- Identify risk reduction methods and work with site management in implementing those methods
- Conduct EHSS related training
- Conduct safety inspections and ensure site personnel are competent in performing safety inspections
- Interact routinely with site management, supervision and personnel on EHSS related matters
- Prepare EHSS compliance related reports and correspondence, both internally and externally (regulatory bodies).
- Ensure site is prepared for and ready to respond in the event of emergency
- Ensure site’s EHSS Management System is in place and functioning effectively
- Assist in the implementation of EHSS policies, procedures, programs and training across site
- Promote employee awareness of EHSS through training and company-wide communications
- Assist in maintaining performance measurement programs (i.e. audits, metrics, tracking, and progress reporting).
- Assist in development of training programs to support EHSS requirements
- Oversee safety assessments and audits, and follow-up of corrective actions identified during assessments
- Creates and activates recommendations for safe workplace practices.
- Participate at initiation phase of equipment purchase, installation and set-up, to assist in design for safety, health, ergonomic and environmental standards
- Support EHSS teams and committees as necessary to meet objectives.
- Provides regular safety trainings and educational materials
- Obtain training and become an active member of emergency response, first aid teams
- Support annually management reporting
- Conducts workstation ergonomic assessments and assists in prevention of musculoskeletal disorder
- Partners with Facilities & Maintenance teams on projects and tasks requiring Job Safety Analysis
- Environmental compliance standards especially pertaining to chemical manufacturing and hazardous waste.
- Occupational Health and Safety standards especially pertaining to chemical manufacturing, maintenance activities and product distribution
- Emergency preparedness and response related to; security, fire, chemical, medical and nature caused events
- Construction safety
- Air emissions quantification and basic control technologies
- Solid hazardous waste control and disposal technologies
- Personal protective equipment including PPE program administration
- Respiratory protection including program administration
- Basic Industrial (Occupational) Hygiene assessment and sampling methods
- Basic incident investigation methods
- Electrical safety fundamentals
- Basic hazardous work (confined space entry, hot work and line breaking) safety fundamentals
- Flammable and combustible liquids safety fundamentals
- Risk assessment fundamentals
- Basic process safety management practices
- Basic Life Safety (emergency egress, lighting and alarms) practices
- Basic fire detection and suppression methods
- Incipient fire suppression techniques
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- 2+ years’ experience in an Environmental Health, Safety and Security environment
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain training certifications including: MA Hazardous Waste Management certification, OSHA HAZWOPER, DOT Certification, First Aid-CPR-AED.
- Occupational Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene or Environmental Engineering discipline is preferred. Chemistry or other science related degree would be an acceptable alternative.
- Knowledge of all applicable regulations as related to safety, health, environment and security
- Ability to facilitate all levels of meetings in a professional manner
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to review analytical data and determine best course of action for all areas within current scope
- Strong knowledge of computers in a network environment and ability to use and learn new technology supporting the job function
- Strong background in statistical processes
- Able to present written and oral communication to all levels of employees in a clear, concise, and persuasive manner
Additional Local Needs:
This position requires the ability to:
- Don/doff and wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including emergency response equipment
- Walk and climb steps routinely
- Lift-carry 50 pounds
- Work in ambient temperature environments
- Perform public speaking to include meeting with and provide training for site personnel
- Complete pre-employment medical evaluation
- Travel occasionally to training-conferences
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.