A career is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Be at the forefront of helping our company achieve amazing things. As a Government and Public Affairs (GPA) Lead you could be integral to bringing life changing treatments to patients across the UK. The GPA Lead is a hands-on role which supports the UK business with a specific focus on our Oncology business unit and above franchise priorities. The role will include both strategic and operational responsibilities and would be suited to individuals with operationally led experience looking for exposure to strategic projects and working with senior leaders in an in-house environment.
Key Role Responsibilities,
- Identify and interpret challenges and opportunities for the oncology franchise and at an above-franchise level within government and NHS policy across the four nations of the UK, judging when and whether government affairs activity would add value, providing internal strategic advice accordingly.
- Oversee UK Biopharma’s relationships with patient advocacy groups, working closely with Medical and business franchise colleagues to ensure compliant implementation.
- Lead on the development and implementation of policy and patient advocacy initiatives to support the launch brands in Oncology.
- Co-ordinate the UK Biopharma Business’ engagement with trade associations (ABPI, EMG, EMIG), ensuring appropriate representation on key groups, input into policy development and unified messaging among internal colleagues.
- In conjunction with Market Access colleagues, update and brief the business on the external environment across the UK (including devolved nations).
- Ensure GPA is properly integrated into UK-wide business planning.
- Support and brief Biopharma General Manager and other leaders for external engagement with GPA customers on Biopharma issues.
- Lead interface with European GPA team in Brussels, participating in regional meetings, update calls and ensuring appropriate input and communication is provided on UK activity.
- Oversee the mapping, prioritisation and engagement with political, NHS (national), patient group, industry and other third-party stakeholders.
- Champion the GPA team, improving understanding, awareness and impact of GPA work.
- Oversee Biopharma GPA budgets and manage external agencies.
- Deputise for the Corporate Affairs Director as required.
- Occasional ad hoc policy/external engagement support for other Biopharma franchises should the need arise.
- Degree educated
- Experience of working in a government affairs or public affairs role.
- Experience of working within a consultancy or agency with a focus on delivering for pharmaceutical company clients.
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and the political landscape in relation to the industry in the UK.
We are a company committed to investing in and developing our employees, the career prospects within this role are quite broad and will depend on the individual’s aspirations and their desire to challenge themselves.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at