A career at our company is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
WHO WE ARE:
Our company is a leading science and technology company. Its life science business offers a broad range of innovative products and services to biotech and pharmaceutical drug therapies businesses. Through dedicated collaboration with the scientific and engineering communities, and as one of the top three R&D investors in the life science tools industry, the brand serves as a strategic partner to customers and helps advance the promise of life science.
As Associate Scientist – Viral Clearance you will be part of the Process Solutions Services team that designs and delivers Viral Clearance validation studies for biopharmaceutical companies across the APAC region. In this role you will conduct a variety of tasks to support GLP/ GMP operations, perform cell culture and virus titration assays, and maintain the testing laboratories and equipment in the validated state. You will carry out client studies with appropriate regulatory compliance under the oversight of the Study Director and work side-by-side with onsite clients, independently performing client activities and viral inactivations as required. As part of your daily responsibilities you will also initiate and support investigations, lead lab improvement projects, and generate SOP’s as required. The Associate Scientist will work closely with the scientists and laboratory personnel to execute client studies on time and right first time.
The post holder will be able to perform the following functions.
Brief role description:
- Works within the Viral Clearance laboratories following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and relevant compliance regulations
- Performs cell culture and virus titration assays to ensure routine studies are completed on time
- Accurately and promptly records data to meet appropriate scientific and GLP/GMP regulatory standards
- Works side-by-side with onsite clients performing scale-down purification operations in the lab
- Independently performs virus spiking, sample preparation and virus inactivation operations
- Initiates and supports event handling and investigations
- Carries out housekeeping, performs environmental monitoring activities and maintains stock control in the laboratory as required
- Ensures a safe and healthy work environment at all times by not only complying with but actively embracing health and safety policies and procedures, ensuring the safety of yourself and others within the workplace
- Ensures equipment is maintained in the validated state and works with facility department to ensure timely implementation of periodic maintenance and calibration.
- Leads lab projects related to equipment validations, continuous improvement, CAPA’s, assay trending, etc
- Generates SOP’s and lab records as required
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Bachelor degree in Biological Sciences or higher degree in relevant scientific subject
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a regulated environment (GLP/GMP)
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a scientific laboratory role
- Demonstrable scientific understanding in downstream bioprocessing (filtration & chromatography)
- Hands-on experience with lab-scale chromatographic systems
- Prior experience in cell culture and/or virology would be advantageous
Knowledge & Skills:
- Computer literacy and entry of data into databases (LIMS, ELN, SAP, etc.)
- Ability to complete documentation (both handwritten and electronic) neatly and accurately
- English fluency in speaking and writing. Practical knowledge of Japanese and/or Korean is a plus.
- Safety and Quality
- Adheres to health and safety procedures and actively takes necessary action when encountering unsafe situations
- Is organized and pays attention to detail
- Adheres to SOPs and protocols, and ensures compliance to site policies and regulations
- Problem solving and drive
- Can learn new skills and knowledge quickly
- Uses logic to solve problems with effective solutions
- Enjoys working hard; is action-oriented and determined to provide best-in-class service
- Pursues everything with energy, drive and the need to finish, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks
- Personal and interpersonal skills
- Relates well to all kinds of people in the organization, builds constructive and effective relationships using diplomacy and tact
- Is seen as a team player, cooperative and encourages collaboration
- Is customer oriented and able to relate with clients from different cultures
- The ability to maintain effective working relationships with scientists and other lab personnel will be critical for success in the role
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS
- Ability to work overtime or flexible shifts from time to time to cover testing requirements
What we offer: At our company, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!