A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Payroll & Tax Manager supervises Payroll Specialists, ensuring that all processes are executed appropriately and in a timely manner. Operates as the subject matter expert and escalation point to resolve issues and continuously looks for improvements in operational processes and designs and implements those initiatives. Optimizes the contribution of the team through coaching, counseling and implements workable solutions to business issues/problems with minimum referral to management. Conducts work planning, estimation and prioritization to optimize performance of team and works with Head of North America Payroll to define standards and reusable approaches for Payroll operations. This individual manages effective internal/external client relationships within own area of responsibility, and builds client relationships among the three major business lines at MilliporeSigma.
- Interpret day-to-day business objectives and preparation/execution of operational practices/work programs.
- Manage Payroll staff and fill in for the Head of North America Payroll as needed and prepare work schedules to ensure appropriate coverage.
- Work as a tax specialist directly with ADP to ensure all taxes and notices are filed accurately and timely
- Coordinate and file all amended returns
- Coordinate all tax registrations directly with ADP and the taxing agencies
- Transfer knowledge and responsibilities related to tax processing to the existing team members
- Facilitate weekly (as required) team calls/meetings.
- Monitor the workload and evaluate performance of direct reports
- Ensure team members acquire necessary skills and performance attributes, in line with business and personal development needs.
- Provide guidance to and shares knowledge with colleagues/team members
- Collaborate with Head of North America Payroll to create annual team objectives.
- Escalate potential service issues to Management.
- Direct work within budgetary guidelines.
- Participate in interview process for new hires into Payroll roles.
- Define standards and reusable approaches within the Payroll operational framework.
- Train team members on new or enhanced operation procedures and policies.
- Identify and implement process improvement initiatives and define standards for new processes.
- Cover for team members in back-up role for vacation and/or high-volume work efforts.
- Approve and release manual off-cycle check payments.
- Implement quality control measures that align with Internal Control Systems.
- Main point of contact for payroll stakeholders and their vendors including (but not limited to) benefits, global mobility, finance/accounting and HRBPs.
Who You Are:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 5 years of US and Canada payroll experience. CPP required.
- Minimum of 3 years experience with ADP payroll and time and attendance systems.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in budget development and management.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a shared service environment and solid understanding of HR cycles.
- Minimum of 5 years of fast paced customer experience.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Expert knowledge of payroll tax filings, registrations, reciprocity rules and regulations.
- Experience with Oracle/SAP HR systems preferred.
- HR experience preferably in an operations environment preferred.
- Ability to effectively manage team members and work as a member of that team and organize work activities.for other members of that team.
- Demonstrated coaching/mentoring skills and issue management problem solving skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; appropriately communicates with all levels of customers from assistants to Sr. Executives.
- Ability to adapt to changing environment and support of multiple clients.
- Ability to analyze/interpret data and take appropriate action.
- Ability & interest in training other team members.
- Expert knowledge of tax filings, registrations, reciprocity rules and regulations
- Working knowledge of email, Internet Explorer, Excel and Access.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.