A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Head of Global Communications, Neurology & Immunology will develop and implement product and pipeline communication programs supporting the business plans for the Neurology & Immunology (N&I) Global Business Franchise of Merck KgaA, Darmstadt, Germany, which operates as EMD Serono in the United States.
Reporting to the Head of Franchise Communications, the Head of Global Communications, N&I will direct all external and internal communication for the N&I business. This work includes positioning EMD Group as a global leader in neurology and emerging competitor in immunology, overseeing the continued global (ex-US) launches of our new multiple sclerosis (MS) therapy, supporting our legacy medicines, collaborating closely with the US team on an exciting potential US approval, and communicating milestones for a promising MS and immunology pipeline.
Based at our US headquarters in Rockland, Massachusetts, the Head of Global Communications will have a strong understanding of neurology, the MS market, and product communications as well as the science behind our approach to addressing hard-to-treat neurological and immunological diseases. In addition to working closely with the N&I Global Franchise, Early Product Planning, and R&D leadership, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with all stakeholders across the company, including key colleagues in Corporate, Global and Country Communications, Investor Relations, and Patient Advocacy. Fostering strong relationships with communication team members at our global headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany is an important part of the role.
The Head of Global Communications must have strong organizational and leadership abilities, superlative communication skills (written and oral), strong digital and social media awareness, global launch and issues management experience, and the poise to provide communications counsel to senior leaders. Additionally, management of budgets, agencies, and relationships within a highly-matrixed, fast-paced business environment are requirements for this role.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directing internal and external communication for the N&I Global Business Franchise with a focus on the marketed MS portfolio and an exciting early immunology pipeline.
- Identifying key program milestones, developing subsequent messaging and communication strategies, managing data milestones and congress communication, and implementing overall communication plans to support business objectives.
- Managing an international team and effectively directing communication activities across all channels, including traditional and social media.
- Actively managing crisis communication for N&I and serving as the primary communications contact for the management of issues that may negatively impact company reputation.
- Proactively positioning the N&I Global Business Franchise in key therapeutic areas among external and internal audiences.
- Advising the Head of the N&I Global Business Franchise on communication issues.
- Establishing strong relationships with key stakeholders across the organization.
- Managing communication agencies and budgets.
- Ensuring compliance with guidelines and processes.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.