A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Head of the Cell Therapy Bioprocessing group will work with the Leadership Team to create business, innovation and new product development strategies whilst ensuring the achievement of financial objectives. Specifically, the position will collaborate with Marketing and Strategic Innovation colleagues to create the roadmap and develop new products and services to support the expansion and purification of therapeutically relevant cells including gene-modified cell. Will collaborate with multifaceted R&D organization across multiple sites to evaluate, develop and implement business critical technologies and product and to build capabilities for an emerging business. Provide strong leadership skills with the ability to analyze complex business operations and implement strategies to improve performance. Manage and coordinate personnel, inventory and capital resources to assist manufacturing of products to meet customer demands and company goals.
- Drive the global development and implementation of the R&D strategy to allow the Business Field to outgrow the market
- Overseeing the creation, development and design of products, investigation of new technologies and experimentation directed at the practical application of technology
- Responsible for the R&D budget of the respective function
- Portfolio Delivery – Execute on program plans for quality, cost and schedule targets
- R&D Investment - ensure alignment to business unit strategies, and facilitate prioritization across various projects in the portfolio.
- Operations and Commercial Excellence - Partner with Quality, Operations and Commercial to transfer product development requirements to production.
- Communication Excellence - Provides routine reports to executive management team on results to plan and key issues including roll-up and tracking of R&D budgets. Translate broad corporate strategies into clear, specific objectives for the
- R&D function of the business segment, with a solutions orientation, demonstrating an understanding of full product lifecycle management.
- Drive Innovation – Develop innovation and IP strategies with technology, product, and platform roadmaps and required capabilities to deliver the business strategy.
- Strategic partnerships - Develop strategy for partnerships (internal and external) to optimize product development.
- Create technical and managerial opportunities to grow next generation leaders, managing a globally driven R&D organization
- Coordinate the selection, training, development, motivation and evaluation of employees within the department. Guide, motivate and develop supervisors and provide overall guidance of personnel development within the department.
- Provide strong avenues of communication for employees maintaining a foundation of Respect and Dignity and emphasizing company values.
- Network with key opinion leaders in both external and internal scientific communities by attending conferences and fostering collaborations with academic and commercial thought leaders around the world.
Who You Are:
- PhD or equivalent with extensive molecular biology, cell biology and virology training. In lieu of PhD, BS or MSc with verifiable product launch experience.
- 10+ years of experience in successfully leading cross-functional teams in R&D
- 10+ years of Product Development in life sciences industry.
- 5 years significant experience managing Project Portfolios and providing analytics
- 7+ years overseeing R&D staff/project groups with a preferred focus on cellular biology, product development, engineering and quality assurance
- Extensive experience in cell biology, biomedical engineering and analytics
- Broad knowledge of bioproduction technologies, raw materials and engineering principles
- Experience establishing and implementing ISO9001, GLP and cGMP regulatory standards and processes
- Must have excellent leadership and communication skills with experience in building and managing teams of cross-functional experts
- Demonstrated ability to identify complementary technologies to expand the portfolio (chemistry and cell biology primarily, as well as instrumentation)
- Broad business skills beyond purely R&D with experience in a customer facing, streamlining business processes or business strategy role such as marketing, general management or business planning
- Ability to effectively negotiate with and influence customers, partners, vendors, and internal staff as required
- Strong talent management and people development skills
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.