A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 51,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Occupational Health nurse develops, interprets and administers the health activities at their local site under the direction of the Occupational Health manager. The nurse is responsible for providing direct care in acute and emergency medical situations and assists with other occupational health staff as needed. The nurse works collaboratively with EHS, HR and management to provide occupational health support based on the needs of the site(s). Additional responsibilities and / or job duties may be assigned at the discretion of the Occupational Health manager.
- Provides initial assessment of on the job injuries and illnesses and refers for further evaluation as necessary.
- Coordinates / provides for the appropriate care, treatment, and follow up of work-related health events based on knowledge of the specific work environment.
- Performs medical surveillance testing including pulmonary function testing, vision screening and other testing as appropriate for the work environment per regulatory guidance and OHS protocols.
- Maintains and safeguards confidentiality of employee health information and employee health records.
- Develops and monitors the budget process to provide for efficient and cost effective occupational health services.
- Collaborates with other members of the corporate occupational and environmental health and safety team, such as occupational medicine physicians, primary care providers, industrial hygienists, EHS, and human resource professionals to optimize worker health.
- Coordinates case management services for the individual worker to achieve optimal outcomes in a cost-effective manner.
- Coordinates and administers the Family and Medical Leave Act, Worker’s Compensation, and the ADA with EMD Millipore’s applicable disability policies.
- Assists supervisors and employees with occupational return to work issues including modified scheduling and job accommodations.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development and continuing education.
- In partnership with EHS conducts ergonomic risk assessments in an office, laboratory and manufacturing environment, to reduce hazards and workplace injuries and illnesses.
- Participates in Biosafety risk assessments and makes recommendation to the management team regarding health risk to workers.
- Coordinates and leads the site(s) Emergency Medical Response Team.
- Must be able to travel by car and air to remote sites.
- Interpret, state, local, and federal regulations regarding required health surveillance for identified exposures to specific work conditions.
- Provide occupational health consultations to departments, individuals, and committees based upon received requests, current assignments, and the needs of EHS.
- Implement the established Animal Use Occupational Health program, ensuring effective functioning within the guidelines of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and EHS.
- Ability to make independent nursing judgments.
- The nurse will be required to access all areas of the facility and so may work in areas with the following hazards including but not limited to: chemicals, biological agents, electrical shock, lasers, and noise. At times may be required to wear personal protective equipment such as glasses, respirator, protective clothing.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This job requires the ability to sit/stand for long periods: use hands and fingers to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; move throughout the department / facility; stoop, kneel, climb stairs, crouch or crawl;
- Regularly lift and / or move up to 10 lbs., and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lb.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Acuity of hearing is also required.
Who you are:
- Current and active license as a Registered Nurse in the state of Massachusetts or willing to obtain within prior to hire start date.
- 2+ years’ experience with occupational and environmental health, case management, government regulations, team process, computer processes and additional education appropriate to the work setting i.e. PFT’s, hearing conservation, basic life support.
- 2+ years of Experience with Microsoft Office applications Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization utilizing both written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Current knowledge of laws and regulations governing worker and worksite safety and health (i.e., OSHA, worker’s compensation, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, etc.).
- 5+ years with occupational and environmental health, case management, government regulations, team process, computer processes and additional education appropriate to the work setting i.e. PFT’s, hearing conservation, basic life support experience with individual and group behavior, including employee relationships, COHN highly preferred.
- 5+ years of Experience with Microsoft Office applications Word, Excel, and PowerPoint highly preferred.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.