A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 51,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Associate Director, US Commercial Oncology/Global Oncology Pipeline will work with our U.S. commercial and global R&D teams to develop, produce and implement marketing communications programs supporting the business plans for the U.S. Oncology Business of EMD Serono and the Global Oncology pipeline for Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, which operates as EMD Serono in the United States. Informed by the latest analytical tools and appropriate digital technologies, the Associate Director will lead product and franchise communications on behalf of the U.S. oncology business, helping drive visibility for EMD Serono in oncology, and global pipeline/R&D communications, communicating about the next wave of potential oncology treatments from the company. The role will also be responsible for further developing and leading an exciting internal communications strategy on behalf of the U.S. Oncology Business Unit and contributing to communications and positioning around our growing oncology portfolio to employees across the company globally.
Based in Rockland, MA, the Associate Director will have a strong understanding of U.S. and global healthcare communications, and oncology in particular, as well as the science and strategic vision behind our approach to addressing hard-to-treat cancers. In addition to working closely with the U.S. Commercial Oncology, R&D and Early Product Planning teams, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with stakeholders across the company, including key colleagues in Corporate, Global and Country Communications, Investor Relations, and Patient Advocacy.
The Associate Director must have strong traditional, digital and social media awareness, superlative communication skills (written and oral), issues management experience, an ability to work independently, and the poise to provide communications counsel to commercial and R&D leaders. Additionally, management of budgets, agencies, and relationships within a highly matrixed, fast-paced international business environment are requirements for this role.
- Development and implementation of communication strategy and programs for US Oncology business and pipeline/key areas of Onc/IO research, with a focus on pipeline milestones and congress activity (proactive and reactive media relations)
- Development, creation, and implementation of awareness campaigns agreed upon with the US Oncology Business Unit
- Support and strategic counsel for the pipeline to R&D and commercial teams regarding external and internal communications
- Global top-tier general and trade media relations, spokesperson preparation and coaching
- Crisis/issues management
- Execution of internal US Oncology communications strategy
- Global and US-specific media relations as it relates to the US Oncology business and to support the global oncology pipeline
- Crisis/Issues management
- Other related duties as assigned
WHO YOU ARE:
- Bachelor's Degree required; graduate communications, business, or science degree preferred
- Knowledge of German a plus
- 8-10 years of experience in a marketing communications position, PR agency within health sciences industry, or respected health care organization in a related role
- Experience in oncology/R&D communications
- Understanding of clinical trials and international regulatory processes and standards
- Significant digital expertise, in particular in design and implementation of social media campaigns and development and deployment of a variety of digital channels in the highly regulated environment
- Medical and scientific understanding – particularly in oncology
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and an ability to translate medical and scientific information into succinct and impactful messages
- Skills in consensus-building and strategic counsel to team members and Brand Leads
- Public speaking and presentation skills required with an ability to present to individuals and groups as well as respond succinctly and clearly to any questions and challenges while presenting
- Professional versatility and hands-on capability with an ability to meet challenges consistently and confidently with energy and drive. Motivated by results, urgency and personal commitment. Possesses high integrity and exceptional work ethic.
- Aptitude in fostering mutual trust and respect
- Creative and resourceful -- able to formulate and execute new approaches to communications problems; results-oriented, with a proven track record of success including creating and implementing strategies and tactics
- Strong, team-oriented player with excellent communication skills and the ability to influence and work effectively within a matrix, and multi-cultural environment
- Ability to access and influence various functional areas and motivate groups to actions
- Collaborative work style and familiarity with core operating functions (global marketing, regulatory, advocacy, access, legal, medical/clinical, and industry collaborators)
- Ability to work in a high-functioning, fast-paced, global business environment
- Motivated by start-up environment. Ability to tolerate risk and deal with ambiguity
- Ability to continuously demonstrate company core values including transparency, courage and respect
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.