A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Facilities Engineer is responsible for assessing operational needs and development of project criteria, scope requirements and implementation of facility mechanical system design activities on engineering and maintenance projects. The Facilities Engineer shall additionally seek new technology applications and effective methods for accomplishing objectives, while developing, documenting, and continuously improving applicable mechanical systems and standards. The Facilities Engineer shall support energy and risk management activities, failure analysis and reliability engineering for a pharmaceutical R&D Campus and remote office sites as needed.
- Works autonomously within established guidelines, standard operating procedures and defined processes and helps determine the appropriate approach for new assignments.
- Works with substantial discretion and applies best practices and knowledge of internal or external business issues to improve service expectations.
- Facilities mechanical responsibilities include: heating, ventilation, air conditioning, boilers, chilled water, compressed air, natural gas, mechanical piping systems, fire suppression, lab utilities, and other buildings systems.
- Impacts business operations through system operational reliability, risk engineering, and project performance in aspects of quality, time, and cost.
- Subject matter expert for all MEP projects and systems
- Develop and manage Energy & Risk management culture
- Execute solutions to avoid repetitive failures and problems that may affect plant operations
- Perform engineering risk audits, internal & third-party sites
- Perform cost/benefit analysis and engineering recommendation / justification
- Landlord MEP Relationship owner for remote sites
- MEP OPEX/CAPEX budget forecasting, development & monitoring
- Train maintenance staff on new and existing systems to assure proper operation
- Develop and deliver project status reports to key internal stakeholders
- Perform FAT/SAT for new equipment/systems
- Manage commissioning of new and existing MEP systems
- Actively participate in the development of mechanical engineering scope, proposal review, and shop drawings
- Manage and monitor Engineering consultants for compliance with project scope and requirements
- Manage multiple and concurrent projects with external vendors and support Project Manager to maintain project delivery timelines
- Provide technical expertise by analyzing facility mechanical system problems, asset condition evaluations, and recommend solutions to Associate Director, Facilities Engineering & Technical Operations
- Provide technical support for Environment, Health and Safety issues
- Support and responds to business related disruptions (planned or unplanned) following established escalation process including but not limited to: supporting emergency plans, disaster recovery plans, business continuity process
- Coordinate and ensure compliance with applicable Federal, State and Local regulations
- Support and promote environmental activities/initiatives such as EnergyStar, LEED, WELL Building Standard, and other initiatives as required by the business
- Ensure leadership and knowledge within the field of expertise in facility technologies and processes including but not limited to: codes, building technologies, energy reduction, building management systems, best practices, and stay up to date with relevant certifications
Who you are:
- 8+ years’ experience in facilities technical engineering in biotech/pharmaceutical environment.
- 5+ years Mechanical System engineering design experience in heating, ventilation, air conditioning, boilers, chilled water, compressed air, natural gas, mechanical piping systems, and energy conservation initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other science or technical industry
- CEM Certification
- LEED / WELL Building Standard AP
- Position requires occasional domestic travel
- Strong background in predictive maintenance, reliability engineering, and energy management
- Project management for MEP and building renovations
- Proficiency in MEP & control system troubleshooting
- Ability to work in a fast paced, matrixed, cross functional work environment
- Strong oral, written, presentation and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products, AutoCAD, CMMS Applications
- Cross functional project leader with ability to simultaneously manage multiple sophisticated projects effectively
- Self-starter with excellent planning and organizational skills
- General knowledge of current MA building & MEP codes
- Experience with the design and engineering analysis of complex mechanical systems and issues
- Demonstrated leadership and maintenance project management experience
- Normal and routine office duties
- Position requires occasional domestic travel
- 24x7 On-call support for building emergencies
- Ability to lift 25lbs, climb ladders
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.