A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: To manually and semi-automatically portion chemicals into containers using safety equipment and following protocols.
***Earn a $1000 Sign On Bonus payable after 30 days of employment***
Shift: This is a Day shift opportunity. Rotating shift - 2, 2, 3 schedule. Hours are 6:00 AM to 6:30 PM.
Payrate: 16.80+ per hour.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Weigh hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals using precision equipment into specific containers
- Verify hood and safety equipment function, obtain weigh up, scan onto computer system, verify electronic balance is calibrated
- Verify match of weigh up and bulk container lot numbers
- Obtain correct type and quantity of containers for weigh up
- Weigh chemicals into containers according to packaging instructions and obtain weight checks
- Count weighed bottles and determine if quantity matches weigh up requirements
- Pulls samples for customers and/or quality control as required
- Complete paperwork including tray tags, weigh ups, and computer PKRQ scan
- Document back of weigh up for specific required data, inclusive of weighing accountability to assure the accuracy of the weighed material
- Fill out data for tray tags and affix to each tray or case of filled bottles
- Scan weigh up to operator code, add number of containers completed, scan off computer code
- Complete production cards
- Maintain equipment, tools, and facilities in safe, clean environment
- Assemble, disassemble semiautomatic powder or liquid dispensing equipment and replace worn or disposable parts as necessary
- Clean semi-automatic dispensing equipment according to manufacturer recommendations and chemical safety protocols
- Clean tools and utensils with appropriate material in hood according to chemical safety protocols
- Clean hood/work station according to method and protocol for specific chemical weighed
- Document cleaning of area/equipment/hood on cleaning log
- Assemble, test, maintain, and use appropriate safety equipment
- Prepare respiratory protection (check respirator for valves/cartridges, assemble white cap hood)
- Prepare and don safety suit (obtain surgical gown, plastic white suit, yellow suit, as appropriate for weighing protocol)
- Obtain safety gloves as appropriate for chemical and work, assure proper attachment to safety suit
- Clean and maintain reusable safety equipment for next use
- Facilitate packaging operations by providing support for weighers and moving material within the department.
- Procures bulk and package components for weighers
- Applies closure and cleans exterior container surface
- Moves materials in department
- Label and overpack bottles of chemical for transportation
- Label and overpack bottles of chemicals
- Verify and complete required paperwork and documentation
- Set up, operate, and troubleshoot all automated labeling, sealing, and bagging equipment
- Check and update mainframe systems and SAP as required
- Determine UN numbers and DOT boxes needed to send material to Distribution according to the appropriate haz programs. Document all processes on the packaging request. Document all damaged labels. Initial all appropriate processes (data sheets, poly bags, etc.)
- Process Improvement
- Shares ideas for improvement including common sense ways to safe money
- Participates in testing and implementation of changes
- Wear the appropriate personal protective equipment inclusive of steel-toed safety shoes
- Maintain, clean and keep safe all work areas and equipment
- Maintain personal protective equipment
- Take necessary steps to assure we provide our customers with the highest quality possible
- Immediately report any situation that could compromise safety or quality
- Miscellaneous duties and tasks as assigned
- Exemplary attendance and adherence to schedule
Who You Are
- Education: High School Diploma, GED or HSED required
Knowledge and Skills:
- Desirable: High school course work in chemistry or 6 months chemistry related work experience.
- Read instructions and understand oral and written instructions.
- Basic math skills including the metric system.
- Learn SOP's/UOP's, cleaning protocols, work and conduct rules.
- Learn to use safety equipment. Learn to use semi-automated equipment.
- Eye-hand coordination. Small/large tool dexterity.
- Legible handwriting, teamwork, communication skills.
- Ability to move 50 lbs.
- Problem solving.
- Ability to operate a forklift is preferred.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS
Packaging/Distribution/Warehouse Environment: Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. Is occasionally required to wear appropriate protective gear, (hard hats, glasses/goggles, chemical resistant suits, gloves, safety shoes) and other personal protection equipment “PPE” to protect themselves from toxic or corrosive chemicals in the forms of liquids, solids, vapors or airborne particles. The work area may occasionally be wet, humid, or abnormally hot or cold.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.