A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Associate Scientist III (AS III) will perform and troubleshoot a wide variety of assays or tests required to characterize a product, material, dose formulation or bioanalytical sample for concentration, stability or other characteristics. He/she will make scientific observations, maintain detailed data books and documentation and ensure all documentation fulfills generally accepted professional/industry standards and GLP regulations. The ASIII may also prepare a wide variety of reagents and formulations for use in assays or tests performed by Genetic and Mammalian Toxicology Laboratories. He/she will maintain an understanding of technological principles and applications of the organization’s services.
The purpose of this position is to support the Genetic Toxicology testing laboratory and study directors by performing method validation transfers and chemical analyses of dose formulations and bioanalytical samples associated with toxicology studies and by preparing a wide variety of reagents and dose formulations. This position must also troubleshoot problems and communicate with senior staff and study directors about the current status and next steps for assays.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Conducts pre-designed assays using basic laboratory techniques and skills as well as troubleshoot and participate in the design process
- Independently conducts assigned test procedures
- Follows SOPs and relevant compliance regulations in regards to safety procedures, documentation, and scientific responsibility
- Independently analyzes data and interprets results
- Advises senior staff and study directors of factors that may affect quality and usefulness of data
- Uses and maintains scientific equipment, instrumentation and computer systems
- Maintains thorough records as well as performs peer review of colleagues’ records
- Demonstrates consistently good communication and interpersonal skills with employees, management and clients (where applicable)
- Assists in meeting project and study goals and deadlines on time
- Addresses quality audit findings in the quality system
- Generates reports of deviations in the quality system
- Other duties as assigned
EXPANDED JOB FUNCTIONS
- Leads by example, offers coaching and mentoring to junior staff
- Assists in training new staff members in performance of routine lab tasks
- Assists in writing/reviewing SOPs
- Maintain quality aspects of laboratory and assay processes including training, equipment records, batch records and preventive maintenance
- Identifies and solves problems in experimental designs with input from senior staff
- Contributes ideas and suggestions to improve standard laboratory techniques, protocols, processes and equipment
- Supports study directors and senior staff by supplying study information or data or business updates as requested
Who You Are:
- MA/MS in scientific discipline with no experience
- BA/BS in scientific discipline with 1-3 years of experience
- AA degree in scientific discipline with 4-6 years of experience
- Or Equivalent scientific experience
- Working knowledge of a formulations laboratory and of high throughput laboratories
- 1-2 years of experience performing as a team lead.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Possess good interpersonal and strong written/verbal communication skills
- Well developed skills in prioritizing, organization and time management
- Highly motivated and detail oriented
- Possess thorough understanding of GLPs that apply to the analytical and formulations lab, enabling this person to advise lab management and study directors of errors or potential risks in protocols and study designs
- Possess the ability to multitask and work independently or in a team environment with minimum supervision
- Good computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets and database software applications, specifically MS Office (Word and Excel)
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS
- Ability to work on projects in other departments as needed.
- Must follow GLP, USDA animal welfare act and IACUC standards.
- Adheres to applicable safety SOPs and follows applicable safe work practices.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.