A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Associate Scientist III will perform a wide variety of assays or tests required to characterize product or material safety. He/ she will make scientific observations, maintain detailed workbooks/ documentation and ensure all documentation fulfills generally accepted professional/ industry standards. He/ she will maintain an understanding of technological principles and applications of the organization’s services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for having a broad working knowledge of lab policies and assays
- Conducts pre-designed assays using basic laboratory techniques and skills
- Independently conducts assigned test procedures within constraints of lab scheduling
- Follow SOPs and relevant compliance regulations in regards to safety procedures, documentation, and scientific responsibility
- Independently analyzes data and interprets results
- Advise supervisor of factors that may affect quality and usefulness of data
- Contribute ideas and suggestions to improve standard laboratory techniques, protocols, processes and equipment
- Maintains thorough records as well as peer review of assay batch records
- Demonstrate consistently good communication and interpersonal skills with employees, management and clients (where applicable)
- Assist in writing/reviewing SOPs
- Serve as a mentor to junior staff members
- Assist in training new staff members in performance of routine lab tasks
- Use and maintain scientific equipment, instrumentation and computer systems
- Adheres to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 standard for laboratory testing as specified in applicable standard operating procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
EXPANDED JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs procedures such as basic animal care, randomization, observation and weighing of animals, necropsy bone marrow collection, slide preparation, slide staining and coding, study setup (labeling of tubes and slides etc.), preparation of reagents and data entry.
- Necropsy and tissue collection.
- Perform portions of Comet Single Cell Gel Electrophoresis assay (preparation of slides, processing of organs, electrophoresis of slides, scoring of slides, and analysis of data).
- Administers the test article by all four major routes of administration (IV, IP, PO and SC).
- Perform all post-life aspects of the assay including tissue collection, DNA isolation, transgene packaging, bacterial culture, mutant scoring, collection of mutant phage, data collection, and data analysis
- Specific technical skills include aseptic technique, bacterial cell culture, DNA isolation and manipulation, work with bacteriophage, and plaque scoring
- Maintain historical control database
- Maintain quality aspects of laboratory and assay processes including training, equipment records, batch records and preventive maintenance
- Running/Processing PigA or Flow Cytometric Analysis.
- Ability to perform weekly scheduling for lab activities
- Some travel required
Who You Are:
- MA/MS in scientific discipline with 2 years lab experience or equivalent
- BA/BS in scientific discipline with 4+ years of experience or equivalent
- AA degree in scientific discipline with 6+ years of experience
- Or Equivalent scientific experience
- Hands on experience working in a research laboratory.
- Experience in performing a variety of assays including, but not limited to dosing, bleeding, and cell collection.
- Ability to analyze data and interpret results.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Possess good interpersonal and strong written/verbal communication skills.
- Possesses various technical skills needed to both perform tasks on study and train less experienced staff.
- Serves as a back-up in the absence of their supervisor
- Highly motivated and detail oriented with good organizational skills.
- Possess the ability to multitask and work independently or in a team environment with minimum supervision.
- Good computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets and database software applications, specifically MS Office (Word and Excel).
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.