A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Discovery Pharmacology department is looking for a highly motivated scientist to apply state-of-art technologies, particularly focused on molecular cellular pharmacology, developing tools to provide insight into biology/pharmacology of the molecules, to support pipeline projects related to our Immuno-oncology, Immunology and Oncology translational innovative platforms.
The selected candidates will provide technical expertise to develop cell-based assay using primary cells as well as tumor cell lines, analyze samples for various screening support activities, including but not limited to target identification/validation of target deconvolution for phenotypic screening and mode-of-action characterization. The candidate must manage cross-functional discovery project team.
- Develops innovative ideas, concepts and approaches to support screening activities for Immuno-Oncology and Immunology drug discovery
- Keeps on the look-out, develops, and incorporates when needed new assay technologies or platforms to expedite the research during the pre-concept phase and improve data quality, reliability, and predictive value when moving to later stages of early clinical development
- Design and support a variety of in vitro cell-based assays using primary immune cells including patient derived tumor cell lines
- Significantly improves, changes or adapts existing methods and techniques. Implements cutting edge technologies and methodologies to investigate immune function.
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues within the Immuno-Oncology/Immunology platform including our global counterpart group, as well as manage outsourcing activities as and when needed
- Develops research solutions that require extensive analysis and detailed investigation.
- Present scientific results to department including multidisciplinary teams at the project level
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree with 5 plus years, master’s degree with 3 plus years, or PhD degree in cell biology or related biology discipline with relevant experience in an industrial and/or academic setting strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree with 3 plus years or master’s degree required
- Hands on experiences in culture of primary immune cells and tumor cell lines, experience with advanced 3D tumor spheroid and co-culture studies preferred
- Ability to conceptualize innovative ideas for immunotherapy and research assay tools
- Familiarity with human and mouse flow based cytometric analysis with experience in high content and real time imaging experience.
- Highly motivated, flexible and creative individual with a passion for drug discovery and development
- Effective communication skills, and ability to explain methods and results to medicinal chemists and other scientists
- Capable of working with autonomy and independently seek help from other scientists to solve problems and to learn new techniques.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally
- Team oriented work ethic and ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Outstanding presentation and interpersonal communication skills
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.