A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
To manually and semi-automatically portion chemicals into containers using safety equipment and following protocols.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Applies closure and cleans exterior container surface
- Assemble and don required safety equipment specified by protocol
- Assemble containers and components for portioning process. Assure they are correct
- Assemble, disassemble semiautomatic powder or liquid dispensing equipment and replace worn or disposable parts as necessary
- Assemble, test, maintain, and use appropriate safety equipment
- Check and update mainframe systems and SAP as required
- Clean and maintain equipment/work area to assure product integrity
- Clean and maintain reusable safety equipment for next use
- Clean hood/work station according to method and protocol for specific chemical weighed
- Clean tools and utensils with appropriate material in hood according to chemical safety protocols
- Clean workstations and restock all materials storage areas
- Compares chemical characteristics to the expected values and appearances
- Complete paperwork including packaging sheet
- Conduct housekeeping tasks following set-up (including disinfection and autoclaving, as required) to assure cleanliness of assembled equipment
- Count weighed bottles and determine if quantity matches weigh up requirements
- Verify accuracy of material picked for weighing against packaging order and product label to be applied.
- Inspect for and document all damaged labels.
- Discard bulk chemical residues, disposable equipment, cleaning materials as required by hazardous waste protocols
- Document all data for traceability of bulk and components
- Document back of weigh up for specific required data, inclusive of weighing accountability to assure the accuracy of the weighed material
- Exemplary attendance and adherence to schedule
- Follow-up on inventory shortages
- Follow all quality, safety and operations training
- Formulate and/or condition chemical to consistency and specification required
- Immediately report any situation that could compromise safety or quality
- Label and over pack bottles of chemical for transportation
- Label bottles of hazardous/non-hazardous chemicals
- Load chemical into dispensing system and conduct calibration and QA tests
- Maintain equipment, tools, and facilities in safe, clean environment
- Maintain personal protective equipment
- Maintain records for accountability and procedure traceability
- Miscellaneous duties and tasks as assigned
- Move materials into department
- Obtain correct type and quantity of containers for weigh up
- Obtain safety gloves as appropriate for chemical and work
- Order and stock necessary supplies to support operations
- Participates in testing and implementation of changes
- Portion chemicals into containers under safe production conditions
- Prepare and don safety equipment (apron, sleeves, face shield, as appropriate for weighing protocol)
- Process hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals into containers. Monitor for proper contents and stage for movement to shipping.
- Suggest ideas for process improvement
- Procures bulk and packaging components
- Pulls samples for customers and/or quality control as required
- Record all calculations and conversions necessary to process paperwork
- Record all tests, measurements and calibrations required during operations
- Record beginning weight of bulk and enter into paperwork for accountability
- Remove chemical residues and scrap packaging materials as required by UOP and SDS of chemical
- Scan weigh up to operator code, add number of containers completed, scan off computer code
- Ability to serve on committees to improve department, site or company performance. Committees may focus on safety, quality, inventory, output, costs, etc.
- Set-up, operate, and troubleshoot all weighing equipment
- Set-up and calibrate equipment for operation and testing to specifications
- Sign in for bulk containers and lot number verification to paperwork
- Take necessary steps to assure we provide our customers with the highest quality possible
- Verify and complete required paperwork and documentation
- Verify hood and safety equipment function, obtain weigh up, scan onto computer system, verify electronic balance is calibrated
- Verify match of weigh up and bulk container lot numbers
- Wear the appropriate personal protective equipment inclusive of steel-toed safety shoes
- Weigh chemicals into containers according to packaging instructions and obtain weight checks
- Weigh hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals using precision equipment into specific containers
- Perform inventory cycle counts
- Participate in daily housekeeping to maintain a high quality work environment
- Lifting / Moving of up to 50 lbs.
- If performing office duties: Employee is required to sit, stand, hear, and use hands to operate all office equipment. Employee must view computer monitors for long periods of time. Vision requirements are close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Employee occasionally will be required to lift, generally no more than 25 pounds.
- If performing lab duties: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach above the shoulder, stoop, kneel, twist, crouch or crawl for long periods of time. The employee must be able to talk, hear, taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted and ability to push and pull heavy materials to complete assignment. The employee may be required to lift more poundage with assistance. Specific vision requirements of this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly uses phones, computers, computer monitors and all office/laboratory equipment. The employee is also required to type at a computer keyboard and have the ability to read CRTs/computer monitors.
- If performing packaging/warehouse/distribution duties: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit, stand, walk, reach above the shoulder, stoop, kneel, twist, crouch or crawl for long periods of time. The employee must be able to talk, hear, taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted. Employee may be required to move more than 50 pounds with assistance. Specific vision requirements of this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly uses phones, computers, computer monitors and all office/laboratory equipment. The employee is also required to type at a computer keyboard and have the ability to read CRTs/computer monitors.
If performing facility services duties: Ability to walk long distances and be able to stay on your feet for eight hours. the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach above the shoulder, stoop, kneel, twist, crouch or crawl for long periods of time. Use hands and feet to operate equipment. Occasionally lift 50 pounds unassisted and additional weight with assistance. Specific vision requirements of this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee may be required to wear a hard hat, safety shoes, eye protection, hearing protection, protective gloves, respirator and face shield (when required).
Who You Are:
- College course work in chemistry or 6+ months previous experience weighing chemicals
- Ability to read instructions and understand oral and written instructions.
- Basic math skills including the metric system.
- Learn SOP's/UOP's, cleaning protocols, work and conduct rules.
- Learn to use safety equipment.
- Learn to use semi-automated equipment.
- Eye-hand coordination.
- Small/large tool dexterity.
- Teamwork and communication skills.
- Problem solving skills
- Familiarity with ISO 9001:2008 and adopting ISO 9001:2015 in 2017
- Familiarity with cGMP environment
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.