A career at Our Company is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 51,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
The APAC Region is rapidly growing and Our Company Life Science, Process Solutions (PS) Division, is investing significantly in the region, with increasing focus on China. As Financial Planning & Analysis Manager, based in Shanghai, you will play a vital role in providing the regional team, affiliates our global business partners with vital insights and recommendations in financial matters that affect the strategic and operational direction of our region.
Reporting to Head of Process Solutions APAC Controlling, your key responsibilities will include, but not limited to, financial reporting and forecasting, business case analysis, asset allocation and working capital management.
You are eager to broaden your expertise across areas to put financial insights into context, identify risks and opportunities, and present these effectively; make fact-based recommendations, and not just serve as a transactional “task taker.” You must embody integrity and transparency to establish your credibility both across the region and globally.
Strong communication skills (English and Chinese) are a must have, both written and oral, given many regional and global stakeholder contacts outside of China that this role must liaise with. You are a self-starter demonstrating a “can do” attitude, and who always puts the best interests of the team first. The successful candidate must possess strong interpersonal skills needed to effectively communicate cross functionally.
An ideal role for someone already with a solid financial foundation and looking to quickly increase their experience and exposure into business partnering – opportunity for fast career development and growth; potential to expand the role.
- This position reports to the Head of Process Solutions APAC Controlling in Singapore
- Internal/External Hire: Full-time position; Manager with one direct report; office based in Our Company’s Shanghai, China office
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience with demonstrated experience in financial planning & analysis
- Native or bilingual proficiency in Chinese; Full professional proficiency in English
- University degree in finance or accounting discipline
- Motivated, quick learner with strong critical thinking & problem-solving skills; ability to handle complexity
- Ability to collaborate across cultures and to influence without authority
- Provide financial decision support on a wide scope of financial topics, including but not limited to:
- Responsible for financial reporting and planning, financial analysis, resource allocation and compliance for the commercial organization – support the full P&L for PS China and Taiwan
- Provides relevant data, financial analysis, and fact-based recommendations in a timely manner; ability to anticipate and comfortable working with fast pace deadlines
- Demonstrates good financial judgment; ability to articulate recommendations to both business partners and finance leaders based on quantitative financial analysis
- Proactively identifies and communicates areas for process improvement to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the controlling function in providing value-added support to business partners (i.e., more time spent on analysis, and less on process oriented operational tasks)
- Develops and documents standard financial processes, with a focus on implementing common financial processes and practices within China to improve efficiency
- Provide appropriate coaching to the direct report
- Ability to effectively interpret financial data for non-finance partners to drive optimal business actions and decisions to achieve financial targets
- Act courageously: Always serve in the best financial interests of the Merck Group and Life Science sector even if it means sometimes having to disagree with business partners
- Monthly & quarterly reporting analysis of financial results, understanding of developments in business and forecasting risks and opportunities
- Maintain regular interaction with CFO organization and/or Accounting Shared Services to ensure monthly closing is well executed (e.g., appropriate accruals are done)
- Appropriately balances corporate and divisional perspectives in developing forecasts, and provides transparency into business drivers, risks and opportunities
- Ability to coach direct report to develop both technical and soft skills, keep motivating team spirit.
Required Skills & Competencies:
Who you are:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience – working experience and exposure in supporting a full P&L
- Bachelor degree in Finance/Accounting
- Fluent in business English is a must (written, spoken)
- Demonstrated financial acumen; solid working experience with Excel skills
- Strong IT skills, especially with Excel, PowerPoint, TM1 and Office, SAP or other ERP system.
- Experience working in a multi-national and matrix environment is a plus
- Comfortable working at a fast pace with tight deadlines
- A self-starter who fosters critical thinking skills (not just a task-taker); goes the extra mile to interpret data
- Must be a team player with leadership skills; maintain flexibility and highly adaptable in a change management environment
- Must have leadership skills, including but not limited to developing/coaching direct report with both technical and soft skills, motivating team spirit with empathy.
- Must embrace diversity and respect for multi-cultural backgrounds
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English); ability to deal with different stakeholders and balance various interests/viewpoints
- Possesses the behavioral attributes of the finance competency model: Adaptable, Resilient, Accurate and Rigorous, Inquisitive and Probing, Courageous, Assertive and Influential
Other preferred skills & qualities:
- Prior industry experience (Pharmaceutical and/or Life Science industry experience preferred)
- Strong communication (both written and verbal), and presentation skills; excellent customer / business and results orientation and excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills, enthusiasm, drive, commitment and flexibility
- Strong tactical and analytics skills: Fact-based analysis
- International exposure (willingness to travel)
- Strong knowledge of accounting regulations and Group accounting policies and practices, and unquestioned integrity in the application of such standards
- A strong "can do" attitude, to reach objectives as a single contributor and in collaboration with others
- Good at workload prioritization and efficiency improvement, resource management, and project management.
- Effective at driving change and collaborating in teams to achieve desired results
- Capable of articulating a plan, gaining organizational commitment to action, and influencing others to achieve results
Functional Area: Finance
What we offer: At Our Company, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com