A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 51,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
At EMD Serono the Senior Scientist - Neuroimmunology will contribute to discovery of drugs for treating autoimmune and/or inflammatory neurodegenerative diseases. They will work independently or lead a group to conduct both in vitro and in vivo studies to understand the contribution of immune cells to the development of neurodegenerative diseases and evaluate the therapeutic potential of drug candidates using both in vitro assays and in vivo models. This requires the individual to conceptualize, design, execute the studies or lead the execution of studies, write and communicate study reports.
- Develop cell-based assays and neurodegenerative models based on drug targets of interest
- Develop strategies and perform studies to obtain preclinical proof-of-concept and support lead optimization
- Identify and validates new drug targets
- Lead internal and external collaborations
- May lead a cross-functional project team to move projects from target identification to lead optimization and nomination of drug candidate for clinical testing
- Mentor and supervise scientific/technical staff on in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo studies
- Maintain electronic laboratory notebook, write study protocols and reports that may need to be regulatory compliant
- Publish in scientific journals
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related Science discipline with 3 plus year’s experience in neuroimmunology or related areas or Master’s degree in Biology or other related Science discipline required
- PhD with at least 2 years of postdoctoral research experience in neuroimmunology or related areas strongly preferred
- Proven scientific track record as demonstrated by scientific publications and/or patents
- Knowledge and experience with in vitro assays involving cell culture and in vivo models of neurodegenerative and autoimmune diseases
- Experience with flow cytometry analysis of immune cells from blood, lymphoid and CNS tissues
- Demonstrated ability to work and innovate independently and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate and lead effectively
- Managerial skills for supervising a group of scientific or technical staff a plus
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.