A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 51,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The supply operations group, a core function that generates milligrams to grams of purified proteins, is seeking a motivated and experienced scientist to join our discovery program at EMD Serono. The candidate will be primarily responsible for purifying and characterizing a variety of therapeutic candidate proteins including monoclonal antibodies and fusion proteins in support of projects from early stage research to pre-clinical programs.
Your scope of work may include, but are not limited to, protein purification, biochemical and biophysical characterization of proteins, novel purification technologies, purification process development, data analysis and project reporting.
- Responsible for activities ranging from protein purification, filtration, biochemical and biophysical characterization of proteins.
- Execute routine protein purification with affinity, size exclusion, IEX, HIC and mixed-mode chromatography using high throughput methods and AKTA systems (Unicorn software).
- Perform analyses including SDS-PAGE, SE-HPLC, LAL, DSC as necessary.
- Provide expertise and insight to guide development of appropriate purification or affinity-tagging strategies.
- Develop novel purification processes as well as using standard methods to purify proteins from the mg to gram scale.
- Perform, develop and optimize robust, efficient, scalable strategies for improving process performance. Activities may include small-scale studies and pilot scale purification studies.
- Scientist level candidate is expected to participate in training junior staff members including Co-op students.
- The candidate is expected to initiate and champion new technologies.
- Analyze and interpret data, and present/document the results at meetings
- Provide reports and prepare scientific presentations as needed. Write/revise ROPs and technical reports.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or other related Science discipline with 3+ year’s experience, or Master’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or other related Science discipline.
- PhD, Master’s degree with 2+ year’s experience or Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years industry experience
- Solid and proven theoretical basis and hands-on experience in protein purification and analytical characterization.
- Hands-on experience with purification unit operations including filtration, chromatography, TFF, UF/DF, AKTA, UNICORN and HPLC systems. Hands-on experience in troubleshooting and routine instrument maintenance.
- Proficient in protein extraction and solubilization methods, protein refolding and purification via affinity, hydrophobic interaction (HIC), ion exchange (IEX), size exclusion (SEC) and mixed-mode chromatography
- Knowledge and skills in biochemical characterization of proteins including analytical and biophysical techniques. Experience with protein formulation strategies is highly desirable.
- Proven track record in Purification Development is necessary with emphasis on chromatographic separations and excellent understanding of and experience with chromatographic resin screening and process optimization. Experience with scale-up and GMP manufacturing is desirable but not necessary.
- Proven working knowledge of DOE. Ability to critically analyze data using statistical tools and to compile technical reports is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, both within the group and cross-functionally
- Interest in evaluating and developing new protein purification technologies is required.
- Familiarity with mammalian, microbial and yeast protein expression is a plus.
- Understanding of the Drug Discovery process and the application of Quality by Design principles are highly desirable.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to adapt to rapid changes in projects priorities and meeting aggressive timelines.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.