A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 51,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
You will be a key strategic partner of the Neurology and Immunology Franchise and active member of the senior leadership team of the Neurology and Immunology franchise, providing strategic input based on external opportunities availability and assessment. Lead the Business Development of the therapeutic area, recognizing the key needs of the Business and ensuring continuous improvement, as well as, drive the identification of pre-clinical, clinical and commercial product in-licensing opportunities (NCE's and NBE's) that support strategic objectives of the therapeutic area. Manage teams of internal and external experts to evaluate pre-clinical, clinical or marketed product opportunities and cross-functional due diligence teams including in-house and external scientific, clinical, manufacturing, regulatory, marketing, financial, legal, intellectual property experts. Manage development of business case and financial model. Prepare and deliver presentations to Healthcare Executive Committee integrating and summarizing scientific, clinical, financial and market information. Structure and negotiate terms of licensing (in and out) agreements with potential alliance partners and lead the negotiation of the full agreements in collaboration with the legal department
Who You Are:
EDUCATION & LANGUAGES
- Bachelor Degree in Life Sciences or Business required
- Advanced degree in life sciences or business degree strongly preferred
- Fluency in English (both verbal and written) is essential
- Outstanding written and verbal presentation skills are required. Ability to articulate and formulate decisions and actions in clear business language
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 15+ years industry experience with 5 + years in the Business Development function
- Demonstrated team management & leadership experience.
- Ability to multitask, strong analytical capabilities, strong interpersonal skills,
- Proven track record of strong contract & business deal negotiation,
- Outstanding time management, and demonstrated delivery of continued high quality work in a changing environment
- Demonstrated history of successfully leading project teams or strategic corporate initiatives
- Strong background in biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical drug development.
- Proven track record of generating large corporate deals and partnerships
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Strong skills at presenting findings and recommendations to senior management.
- Mature personality with the standing to be the voice of the partner within Merck Biopharma and with the standing to be the voice of Merck Biopharma in discussions with the partner.
- Established network of contacts in key academic institutions, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast paced setting; enthusiastic about the potential strategic options; well-grounded in pragmatic approaches to structuring options available.
- Experience working in the context of a large, complex, global organization where working across boundaries and leading through influence are keys to success
- Global perspective. Multi-cultural background preferred.
- Strong coaching, influencing and active listening skills
- Position requires both domestic and international travel up to 50% of time
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.