A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role As the Director of Business Development, you will actively partner with business leaders to identify, prioritize and execute business development agreements between MilliporeSigma and partners, with a focus on partners operating in the Digital space. Such agreements include M&A, licensing/royalty deals, joint development agreements as well as divestitures.
Through a highly collaborative approach, the Manager partners with business owners to prioritize inorganic needs and then acts to identify potential partners. The manager also evaluates inbound opportunities. This is a role with high visibility to senior management. The main responsibility will be to lead BioProcessing Business Development projects related to the Digital space.
- Partner with business leaders to understand internal technology roadmaps and identify areas where inorganic activities are needed to achieve strategic goals
- Leverage technical and business expertise to identify potential targets that match the strategic needs of the business
- Build and nurture relationships with potential targets via conferences, professional organizations
- Partner with business leaders and the finance organization to create financial models to demonstrate value of potential deals
- Manage target relationship, negotiate key terms and drive internal process of approval for M&A, licensing and divestiture deals
- Evaluate inbound opportunities for strategic fit and execute where appropriate
- Organize teams for due diligence and execute assigned activities
- Organize integration teams and execute assigned activities
- Strategic planning support to business leaders, serving as advisor, thought partner and challenging conventional wisdom / approaches
- Framing and quantifying business potential and investment risk for growth opportunities, e.g., new market entry or footprint expansion
- Exhibit strong teamwork within and beyond the team to drive functional success
- Engage, mentor and challenge team members
- Integrate tools and best practices into function
- Build scalable capabilities in the business
- Support onboarding of new team members
Who You Are:
- BS degree 10+ years experience, MS degree 5+ years, PhD 3+ years experience
- Experience with Business Development (M&A, Licensing, Divestiture), strong preference for experience of software, manufacturing automation, or analytics
- Primarily focused in business to business (B2B)
- Intellectually curious with a bias for action
- Influences without authority and drives actionable results
- Deeply analytical with quantitative and qualitative data – framing and conducting analysis
- Competent in financial analysis as it relates to product investment (e.g., NPV, IRR, payback periods)
- Highly collaborative team player able to lead cross functional projects
- Effectively engage team members across various levels
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong communication skills – oral and written. Highly proficient in MS Office
- Openness to fresh ideas and new perspectives
- Experienced in global organization working with highly technical team members
- Comfortable in fluid environment and navigating through ambiguity
- Travel typically 25% with periods as high as 50%
- B.A. or B.S. degree in computer science, engineering, analytics, biology or another technical field strongly preferred
- MBA preferred
- Relevant, professional experience, ideally within Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical or Chemicals markets strongly preferred
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.