A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
An exciting opportunity is available to join our organization as a Process Development Manager. In this role, you will be responsible for a talented group of scientists tasked with the responsibility of developing chemical processes in support of large scale manufacturing. Position will focus on designing new chemical manufacturing processes slated for large-scale chemical operations in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, while improving existing chemical processes in an interest of increased safety, quality and finances. Introduction of new technologies will be critical for demonstrated success in position.
- Manages an Process Development group
- Assembles teams and assigns lab work and team structure to best support timelines provided by customers, project management and manufacturing units
- Coaches and develops team members
- Coordinates and works with Supervision and Project Management Team to identify and develop manufacturing processes (existing and new) with a focus on future growth
- Communicates effectively with external and internal customers
- Establishes timelines and assign priorities for assignments and adequately assign resource
- Pursues patents and publications, where appropriate
- Evaluates performance of employees, and handle all personnel questions in association with upper management and HR, where most appropriate
- Reviews and suggests improvements for group interactions with QC, marketing, manufacturing, packaging, tech services, other sites, etc.
- Offers and demonstrates scientific collaboration with other sites, as appropriate
- Provides technical support to other functions, as requested
- Offers technical review for new business and existing processes
- Maintains a clear understanding of operations and utilities associated with chemical manufacturing environment
- Assesses new product candidates and accompanying literature
- Reads and analyzes current scientific literature in selected areas of research
- Assesses internal product/manufacturing history as it applied to Process Development activities
- Liaises with academics and companies to assist in transfer technology into the company, where appropriate
- Analyzes technically, corporate acquisition targets where requested
- Works with Marketing, Supervision, and VP to identify and develop focused areas of technology for focus and future growth
- Establishes and maintains academic and/or industrial contacts
- Interacts with customers and with marketing to determine technical performance specifications of products, where appropriate
- Provides technical content and periodically review marketing information for promoting Sigma-Aldrich products
- Assesses group effectiveness, and offers systematic improvements
- Offers departmental administration tasks, and routinely pursues process improvement for manufacturing processes and operational systems
- Maintains budget and capital control; provides input budget needs to upper management
- Identifies and establishes process improvement initiatives to improve performance - maintains all documentation current
- Coaches and develops team members in applying the process improvement model to their work
- Executes miscellaneous duties and tasks, as assigned
- Maintains exemplary attendance and adherence to schedule
Who You Are:
- PhD - Chemistry or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years experience in life science- or chemistry-related research and development
- PhD plus postdoctoral experience in Chemistry, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years experience as senior or principal scientist in development of products is desirable
- 5-10 years experience in managing personnel in an industrial applied research setting or core lab/service center is desirable
Knowledge and Skills:
- Broad knowledge of Chemical synthesis. Broad knowledge of chemistry - including areas of materials science and medicianl chemistry of relevance to the company, including scientific problem-solving skills. Clear understanding of operations and utilities used within a chemical manufacturing environment. Demonstrated ability to read and understand chemical literature and patents, and their impact on areas of responsibility. Knowledge and understanding of ISO 9001 and other relevant quality systems overall goals, implementation and application. Strong communication skills; written and oral; technical writing skills; ability to write Operating Procedures or similar documentation. Proven leadership and team-building skills, including personnel-related problem solving skills.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.