A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
To provide Industrial (Occupational) Hygiene, Safety & Environmental assistance to site management in the prevention of occupational injuries (and illnesses) and emissions to the environment. This position possesses many of the technical skills of Safety Specialists/Engineers, Environmental Specialists/Engineers, and Industrial (Occupational) Hygienists. This position is dedicated to single-site support.
As the EHS Specialist, you will support multi-discipline laboratories and departments performing biosafety testing operations for (5) buildings totaling 180k sq. ft. with +500 team members on the site.
Responsibilities of this role will include but are not limited to: Assist site management in the reduction of injuries and incidents; Assist site management in ensuring compliance with environmental, occupational hygiene and safety regulatory requirements; Ensure site personnel is competent in performing Risk Assessments and ensuring needed Risk Assessments are completed; Identify risk reduction methods and work with site management in implementing those methods; Conduct EHS related training; Conduct safety inspections and ensure site personnel is competent in performing safety inspections; Interact routinely with site management, supervision, and personnel on EHS related matters; Prepare EHS compliance-related reports and correspondence, both internally and externally (regulatory bodies); Ensure the site is prepared for and ready to respond in the event of an emergency; Ensure the site’s EHS Management System is in place and functioning effectively to include policy, planning, hazard Identification, Risk Assessment & Control and legal and Other Requirements.
The successful candidate must be able to work overtime and flexible shifts to maintain a 7-day lab operation facility. Perform public speaking to include meeting with and provide training for site personnel.
- Wear PPE including emergency response equipment.
- Walk and climb steps routinely.
- Work in ambient temperature and humidity environments
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Engineering, or scientific discipline (i.e. Chemistry, Biology, etc.) Chemistry or another science-related degree with additional technical training in many of the essential job function elements
- 5+ years of previous EHS related experience
- Technical knowledge and ability to apply many of the following skillsets based on the assigned location:
- Occupational Health and Safety and Environmental compliance standards especially pertaining to laboratory operations.
- Emergency preparedness and response related to; security, fire, chemical, medical and nature caused events.
- Chemical and biological laboratory safety.
- Hazard control methods.
- Construction safety.
- Solid hazardous waste control and disposal technologies.
- Occupational disease prevention and control methods.
- Industrial ventilation (general and local exhaust) and basic indoor air contaminant control methods.
- Basic industrial toxicology.
- Personal protective equipment including PPE program administration.
- Adult training program development and delivery.
- Respiratory protection including program administration.
- Basic Industrial (Occupational) Hygiene assessment and sampling methods.
- Basic Accident investigation methods.
- Electrical safety fundamentals.
- Basic hazardous work (confined space entry, hot work, and line breaking) safety fundamentals.
- Flammable and combustible liquids safety fundamentals.
- Risk assessment fundamentals.
- Basic process safety management practices.
- Basic Life Safety (emergency egress, lighting, and alarms) practices.
- Basic fire detection and suppression methods.
- Incipient fire suppression techniques.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.