A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Payroll Supervisor supervises Payroll Specialists, ensuring that all processes are executed appropriately and in a timely manner. Operates as the subject matter expert and escalation point to resolve issues and continuously looks for improvements in operational processes and designs and implements those initiatives. Optimizes the contribution of the team through coaching, counseling and implements workable solutions to business issues/problems with minimum referral to management. Conducts work planning, estimation and prioritization to optimize performance of team and works with Head of North America Payroll to define standards and reusable approaches for Payroll operations. This individual manages effective internal/external client relationships within own area of responsibility, and builds client relationships among the three major business lines at MilliporeSigma.
In this role you will interpret day-to-day business objectives and preparation/execution of operational practices/work programs. Manage Payroll staff and fill in for the Head of North America Payroll as needed and prepare work schedules to ensure appropriate coverage. Work as a tax specialist directly with ADP to ensure all taxes and notices are filed accurately and timely. Coordinate and file all amended returns. Coordinate all tax registrations directly with ADP and the taxing agencies. Transfer knowledge and responsibilities related to tax processing to the existing team members. Facilitate weekly (as required) team calls/meetings. Monitor the workload and evaluate performance of direct reports. Ensure team members acquire necessary skills and performance attributes, in line with business and personal development needs.
The Payroll Supervisor will also provide guidance to and share knowledge with colleagues/team members. Collaborate with Head of North America Payroll to create annual team objectives. Escalate potential service issues to Management. Directs work within budgetary guidelines. Participates in interview process for new hires into Payroll roles. Defines standards and reusable approaches within the Payroll operational framework. Train team members on new or enhanced operation procedures and policies. Identify and implement process improvement initiatives and define standards for new processes. Cover for team members in back-up role for vacation and/or high-volume work efforts. Approve and release manual off-cycle check payments. Implement quality control measures that align with Merck Internal Control Systems. Main point of contact for payroll stakeholders and their vendors including (but not limited to) benefits, global mobility, finance/accounting and HRBPs.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline
- Certified Payroll Professional Certificate
- 5+ years of US or Canada payroll experience.
- 3+ years of experience working with payroll tax filings, registrations, reciprocity rules and regulations
- 3+ years of fast paced customer experience.
- 3+ years of experience with ADP payroll and time and attendance systems.
- 3+ years of experience in budget development and management.
- 3+ years of experience in a shared service environment with solid understanding of HR cycles.
- 3+ years of experience working with email, Internet Explorer, Excel and Access.
- Experience with Oracle/SAP HR systems.
- HR experience preferably in an operations environment.
- Ability to effectively manage team members and work as a member of that team and organize work activities for other members of that team.
- Demonstrated coaching/mentoring skills and issue management problem solving skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; appropriately communicates with all levels of customers from assistants to Sr. Executives.
- Ability to adapt to changing environment and support of multiple clients.
- Ability to analyze/interpret data and take appropriate action.
- Ability & interest in training other team members.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.