A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Senior Counsel will be responsible with other lawyers and Paralegals to provide comprehensive legal support to EMD Serono’s Therapeutic Areas, including Commercial and Medical. This role will be a primary contact for Fertility, Fertility Technologies, Endocrinology, and Oncology, key EMD Serono Therapeutic Areas.
- Comprehensive legal support of key Therapeutic Areas, including review of marketing materials and advice regarding Marketing and Sales Operations of both pharmaceutical products and medical devices.
- Comprehensive legal support of Medical Affairs, including review of scientific (non-promotional) materials and advice regarding Medical Affairs and Medical Operations
- Responsible for commercial contracting, including advertising, consulting, call center and Therapeutic Area-specific distribution agreements, as well as contracting with healthcare professionals including advisory boards and consulting.
- Proactively identify, counsel, and communicate potential legal issues to mitigate risk. Manage risks through counseling, training and practical application of relevant legal and regulatory requirements, EMD Serono policies and procedures.
- Provide comprehensive legal support in order to identify, manage and help mitigate legal risks including those that involve fraud and abuse and anti-kickback laws.
- Collaborate with US and Global colleagues in order to ensure business strategies and objectives comply with applicable laws, regulations and policies.
- Provide advice regarding patient assistance, reimbursement and support programs as well as interactions with patients, including privacy issues.
- Manage outside counsel as specialized advice is required for projects or activities.
- Manage Paralegals.
- Legal support of other Therapeutic Areas as needed
- Represent EMD Serono on legal committees of one or more industry associations, including PhRMA and BIO.
- Active participation on Legal Department projects.
- Assist General Counsel on both U.S. and non-U.S. legal matters.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Who You Are:
- Healthcare Law Experience Required
- J.D. and bar admission required with minimum of 6 - 8 years’ experience in a firm and/or in-house. Pharmaceutical industry experience required.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work cross-functionally and build consensus among various stakeholders within a global structure while maintaining a compliant approach
- Enthusiastic, energetic, self-starter.
- Strong project management skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility to changing priorities
- Comfortable working and interacting with all levels of management.
- Initiative, creativity, sense of urgency and strong interpersonal skills.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.