A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Associate Director of Global Portfolio Strategy & Innovation sits in the Chief Medical Office reporting to the Head of Global Portfolio Strategy & Innovation. This is within the R&D organization collaborating across therapeutic areas by utilizing experience and expertise to successfully lead internal and external projects centered around advancing EMD Serono’s development portfolio and scientific leadership. The candidate is a self-starter who possesses the demonstrated ability to manage and report on high priority projects, including project reports to Senior Management. The Associate Director is proactive, is able to direct multiple projects simultaneously, and has demonstrated an ability to identify and implement process improvements that deliver value internally and/or externally.
The position requires someone with a strong scientific background who is able to support project strategy development and to lead project execution to achieve objectives. The ideal candidate should be prepared to both independently lead cross-functional works and support projects where someone else serves as the Lead. This role is also responsible for building and maintaining project plans, schedules, and performance reports. The scientific background is key to ensure strong input and considerations into portfolio strategy related projects and discussions. In addition, the Associate Director should be adept at drawing in various considerations from regulatory to development to the marketplace in their overall approach. This individual is someone who had successfully lead and completed cross-functional projects within Merck.
Projects in scope for this role are both internal as well as external facing with academic and other partner institutions and companies. Projects may directly support the EMD Serono pipeline, marketed assets or innovation projects. Knowledge of various external facing teams within EMD Serono and how these teams are evolving to continuously address customer needs will be critical to the success of this role. Special cross-functional assignments could include works on novel communication channels and platforms to build a position of scientific leadership with both a short- and long-term focus, as well as efforts to continuously improve our understanding of customer needs.
Who You Are:
- Advanced scientific degree (Ph.D., PharmD, MD) strongly preferred (Masters degree or other scientific or clinical degrees considered) with pharmaceutical industry experience (required).
- 6-8 years of prior experience working within the pharmaceutical industry or related fields or jobs with a relevant medical/scientific focus.
- Experience working with external stakeholders such as healthcare providers, academic institutions, vendors, and other companies mandatory
- Scientific and/or clinical experience within Oncology and/or Neurology (multiple sclerosis) or closely related fields strongly preferred.
- Able to think strategically to link projects back towards the broader EMD Serono pipeline approach at the therapeutic area and asset level
- Able to think innovatively to guide novel communications-related activities with scientific integrity and balance.
- Comfort with effectively communicating and discussing basic as well as clinical science; an established track record of interacting with researchers to discuss scientific approaches, detailed molecular mechanisms and clinical trial designs and results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; English – excellent command of spoken and written English
- Strong project management experience (project management certification a plus); coordination of project related meetings and external engagements with potential business partners such as researchers, institutions, and other third parties
- Proven organizational / time management skills and ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to work with cross-cultural teams to leverage global knowledge and resources, champion local support needs, and share best practices around the globe.
- Demonstrates ability to be nimble, maintain a positive outlook, and remain composed under pressure.
- Proven ability to analyze and organize information logically.
- Experience with troubleshooting / problem solving and risk assessment / mitigation.
- Comfortable making risk-based recommendations based on data, or relevant experience.
- Meets challenges consistently and confidently with energy and drive.
- Motivated by results, urgency, and personal commitment. Possesses high integrity and exceptional work ethic.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft applications, including Project, Word, Excel and Power Point.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.