A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Provide legal advice on Research & Development matters, particularly those relating to pre-clinical and clinical research and contracting. This is a generalist position reporting to the Associate General Counsel for Research & Development.
- Provide comprehensive legal support of R&D activities, including review of scientific (non-promotional) materials and provision of advice relating to pre-clinical and clinical research
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of R&D contracts, including research collaboration, material transfer, confidentiality, clinical trial, consulting, vendor services and licensing agreements
- Review agreements negotiated by outsourcing partners to provide risk assessment of non-standard liability, indemnification, confidentiality, data privacy, intellectual property and other provisions
- Evaluate complex issues and provide timely, solutions-oriented legal advice to R&D business partners to identify, assess and address legal concerns and implications of R&D initiatives
- Participate in initiatives to strengthen the Legal Department and R&D organization, including through the preparation, implementation and refinement of forms and processes
- Manage risks through counseling, training and practical application of EMD Serono policies and procedures
- Collaborate with cross-functional compliance and monitoring teams to support audits, investigations and other matters
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Who You Are:
- J.D. and license to practice law in the U.S.
- B.S. degree or higher, preferably in biology or chemistry
- At least 3 years of experience drafting and negotiating a wide variety of agreements within a corporate legal department in the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience advising R&D groups about how to meet business goals while maintaining strict compliance with required laws, regulations and company policies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and concisely to clients, to integrate legal and business knowledge and to provide balanced advice regarding risks
- Enthusiastic, energetic, self-starter with the ability to quickly build relationships and gain trust of team members and stakeholders at all levels of an R&D organization
- Strong sense of ownership and ability to work independently to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Adaptability to changing priorities and ability to flourish in a fast-paced environment
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.