A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative individual to be a part of the Virus and Gene Therapy Bioprocessing (VGTB) team. As a Principal R&D Scientist, you will lead a team responsible for the execution of unit operations for AAV and LV viral vector production utilizing the Millipore Sigma line of products as custom projects for outside customers. You will also provide input for areas of innovation, new product development to advance Millipore Sigma as the leader in viral vector bioprocessing.
You will collaborate with a multifaceted R&D organization across multiple sites to evaluate, develop products and implement technologies to build capabilities for an emerging business. Administrative responsibilities include: SOP training and compliance, accurate project-hour recording, etc.; development and protection of intellectual property. Supervise, guide, and structure the laboratory activities of junior scientists by sharing knowledge and experience.
As a member of the VGTB team, your responsibilities include the planning and execution of experimental designs using a DoE based approach, maintenance of adherent and suspension cell lines used for gene therapy applications, bench and pilot scale virus production, analytical analysis for product quality/process recoveries, good documentation skills, and general lab maintenance duties. The successful candidate must be able to interface with other scientists, marketing, project management and production groups to define product specifications, product configuration, assays, manufacturing procedures, etc. ensuring smooth progression through the product/process development. In this role you will need; the ability to troubleshoot automated instrumentation and process equipment, have high attention to detail, have excellent communication skills (written and oral) and be self-motivated. Ability to travel to collaboration sites (10-20%) will be required within this role.
Who You Are:
- PhD degree in scientific or engineering discipline AND 5+ years product OR process development for Bioprocessing.
- 5+ years’ hands-on experience in Downstream Bioprocessing unit operations and basic understanding of Upstream Bioprocessing.
- 3+ years’ experience in troubleshooting automated instrumentation and process equipment.
- 3+ years’ experience with aseptic technique.
- 1+ year supervisory experience.
- Experience with viral vector production at pilot scale.
- Experience designing experiments for and analyzing data from mammalian cell cultures in bioreactors.
- Analytical assays experience highly preferred.
- Knowledge and/or experience developing GMP processes.
- Knowledge of downstream unit operations (clarification, tangential flow filtration, and chromatography) desired.
- Ability to exercise significant judgment when analyzing complex projects and demonstrate a high level of scientific achievement and understanding.
- Working knowledge of bioinformatics is preferred.
- Competency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and statistical software packages.
- Must be able to work and communicate effectively both independently and in a team-oriented environment and to supervise/mentor junior scientists.
- Must exercise significant judgment when analyzing complex projects and demonstrate a high level of scientific achievement and understanding.
- The ability to work in a regulated environment and be skilled in data analysis, troubleshooting, report writing, and oral presentations is required.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.