A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
In your role as Data Engineering and Architecture lead you will be part of the Data Practice and Platform team who is responsible for driving the build-up of good data practices and robust analytics platform capabilities which help drive the realization of prioritized analytical use cases. You will be enabling some of the best use cases to come to life because of the way data will be architected and making it accessible to our Life Science teams colleagues globally.
In your role as Lead Data Engineer and Architect, we would see you as the thought leader in the field of data engineering and data architecture who very strongly cares for business outcomes. You enjoy empowering others on the platform, but not necessarily do the work minute by minute for the team. In addition, you are embracing uncertainty and leading in complex environments by providing superb data engineering judgement and exploring viable architecture and engineering options. Also, we are not looking for a pureplay software engineer nor a pureplay PMO type person either – you are a doer.
The Lead Data Engineer and Architect can “listen to data” to articulate, evolve and defend the data engineering and pipeline standards of how data needs to be organized and ensures standards are applied across the platform ecosystem. Technology exploration is part of your profile to innovate and meet business needs. You will drive the practice across the entire platform from ingestion through to provisioning of outputs. Forming practices around the robust data integration with up- and down-stream platforms also forms a core part of your role. You will be greenlighting new projects from an architecture and engineering position.
The role will partner closely with the ACE data engineers, the ACE Product Owners and the ACE Use Case Tech Leads. Also, the role will be an integral part of business-oriented discussions to ensure business outcomes are considered as part of the engineering and architecture work.
- ACE Product owners: For the ACE Product Owners the role will be the authoritative source for data engineering and architecture guidance. The role ensures use cases can be optimally supported by the data products, data practices as well as from an architecture perspective to support best business outcomes.
- ACE Data engineers: For the ACE Data engineers the role will provide strong guidance and exceptional thought leadership around data engineering practices, data architecture and integration. The role will define, evolve and quality ensure the practices and technical framework while the ACE data engineers execute as per the standards.
- ACE Tech leads: The Tech lead will work with the ACE Lead Architect to develop an aligned and integrated ACE architecture spanning across multiple use cases and value streams. They will define good development practices and the Tech Lead will ensure implementation on use case level. Both roles build a highly collaborative thought leadership duo with exceptional care for business outcomes across and beyond individual use cases.
- IT partners: The role will form strong partnerships with the IT functions ranging in infrastructure, application technology and IT business partner teams. The role defines, drives and together with the IT functions delivers the ACE platform roadmap to tightly integrate with adjacent platforms such as Tableau, SFDC, AERA, Big Query etc. to ensure high quality data flows and architecturally sound solutions.
The Lead Data Engineer and Architect will further collaborate with other teams - both the demand and the delivery side - the Life Science Business teams, the CDO, SBS and other analytical functions in the organizations. External thought leadership exchange across industries is strongly expected to stay abreast with technology evolution and to get outside-in-perspectives into our practice.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative or technical field (math, statistics, computer science, data engineering)
- 5+ years’ experience, MS degree with 2+ years’ experience, or PhD
- Strong mathematics background and exceptional experience with big data stack build up and evolution
- Strong understanding how good data engineering and architecture practices support analytical use cases and strong care for business outcomes
- Entrepreneurial mindset, strong analytical skills, big-picture thinking paired with getting things done practice
- Thought leadership in the data engineering and architecture domain you are able to succinctly and clearly project to other parts of the organization from practitioners to executive leadership
- Strong experience with various tools used for data modeling, data warehousing, business intelligence and databases (e.g. SAS, R, Business Objects, Tableau, Python, Hadoop, ETL, Big Data, ORACLE, and Hive)
- Exceptional experience defining and implementing data ingestion strategies by leveraging experience of integrating a variety of external data sources
- Strong ability and readiness to investigate and adapt knowledge and experience to meet business outcomes
- Exceptional interpersonal skills that work with technical & non-technical audiences
- Data ingestions: JDBC/ODBC ((Oracle, SQL Server, MSQL, etc.), Amazon S3, SAP,AERA, SFDC, FTP, SFTP
- Pipelines: Spark, SparkSQL, Python, SQL, Java, Git
- Master’s degree preferred
- NLP / ML experience, Gradle, PyTest, Bash, Typescript, Groovy; Infrastructure Experience (managing severs, memory, CPU, firewalls)
- You will need to be able to become an expert in the Palantir’s software offering and what each piece offers to help an individual achieve their desired outcome
- Ability to structure and plan highly complex topics into manageable work items
- Ability to prioritize thoughtfully and strictly in alignment with business objectives as well as financial and resource restrictions
- Ability to work with global, highly-matrixed agile product teams
- Demonstrable experience working in an agile product development environment strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to lead diverse teams through influence and thought leadership
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with a high degree of independence
- Flexible and willing to travel internationally and domestically
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.