A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
We are seeking a motivated researcher to join our recombinant protein expression team at EMD Serono. The Operations group, as part of the Protein and Cell Sciences (PCS) department, generates micrograms to grams of purified protein. The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for small and large scale expression of therapeutic and reagent proteins primarily by transient transfection of mammalian cells lines or from stable cell lines to support preclinical research. The incumbent would also be responsible for maintaining expression cell lines, cell passaging, generating stable mammalian cell lines, selection of high expressing cell lines, creation of research cell banks, optimizing cell growth and protein expression.
Coordination, communication and collaboration with downstream purification scientists will be critical to this position. You will be interacting with other members of the Protein and Cell Sciences group and interfacing with members within the group, within NBE Technologies, within Research and Development and with Global Manufacturing and Supply.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Microbiology or other related Scientific discipline or Associate’s degree in Biology, Microbiology or other related Scientific discipline with 1+ years’ experience in cell culture techniques.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of general cell culture techniques and protein expression systems including transient gene expression, small scale production, and protein expression are preferred.
- Direct experience with mammalian cell lines such as CHO and HEK-293 is beneficial and familiarity with cell culture performance at various scales from shake flasks to bioreactors is a plus.
- Exposure to instruments commonly used in a cell culture lab: Cedex, ViCell, Octet, BGA and NOVA Bioprofile. Experience operating wave and stirred-tank bioreactors is desired.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to adapt to rapid changes in projects priorities and meeting aggressive timelines.
- Effective communication both verbally and in written form with peers and senior management
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.