A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
At EMD Serono the Molecule group within Protein and Cell Sciences has an opening for a scientist with experience in molecular biology and mammalian gene expression. The primary function of the group is to deliver optimal protein candidate therapeutics for preclinical research primarily in the areas of oncology, immune-oncology and immunology. The candidate will focus on cell line generation, mammalian cell culture and protein expression. The scope of work includes expression strategies for mammalian cell lines and hybridomas, stable and transient transfection, spin tube, shake flask and bioreactor production and harvest clarification, process development and optimization. The individual should enjoy working in a team. Coordination, communication and collaboration with discovery scientists and downstream purification colleagues will be critical.
The primary responsibility will be protein expression from mammalian cell cultures to support preclinical discovery research. Cutting edge technology will be used to develop and optimize mammalian expression systems which will improve protein yield and quality. The candidate will be expected to generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner, providing technical reports, protocols, and scientific presentations as needed. The role requires a focus on continuous improvement and implementation of new technology and innovation wherever possible. The candidate is expected to serve as trainer and mentor for junior staff in the laboratory, to work with minimal supervision, to analyze and interpret data, and to present/document the results at meetings.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other related Science discipline with 3+ years’ experience in molecular and cell biology techniques and protein expression or a Master’s degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other related Science discipline
- Bachelor’s degree with 7+ years’ experience or Master’s degree with 4+ years’ experience or PhD
- Expertise in current molecular and cell biology techniques and functional tools such as DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, various cloning technologies, qPCR, and RNA technologies
- A solid understanding and working knowledge of molecular biology as applied to expression vector design and production
- Candidates must have proven experience with mammalian cell engineering
- Hands on expertise in CRISPR-cas9 applications, single cell metabolism and microfluidic approaches is highly desired
- Candidates must have expertise in mammalian cell culture and protein expression systems with a proven track record in transient transfection in HEK and CHO host cells as well as in establishing stable cell lines (stable pools and clones)
- Experience in optimizing protein expression and yield; evaluation of novel expression systems, chaperones, host cell lines, and transfection reagents
- A solid and proven working knowledge Design of Experiments is desirable.
- The candidate must be able to critically analyze data using statistical tools and to compile technical reports
- Additionally, knowledge in standard protein analytical techniques such as SDS-PAGE, Western, ForteBio/Octet, HPLC (SEC, RP) is highly desired
- General understanding of protein purification and chromatography
- The individual must be able to manage multiple independent projects and complexity within a timeline driven environment.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and in written form with peers and senior management
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.