The Application Engineer acts as E2E responsible for the Supplier domain of the MDG – Master Data Governance - system to provide state of the art master data solutions. This includes the implementation of appropriate systems enhancements following established processes to meet customer requirements. He/She will interact with our Business facing Master Data organization to plan, prepare, execute and monitor projects as well as individual Change Requests. The execution will be either performed by the ‘Application Engineer’ directly or by leveraging technical skills as provided by external partners.
In this role we require an excellent knowledge of the MDG-S module combined with a good understanding of associated business processes in connected ERP systems. Thus he/she should be in the position to consult business partners to find suitable and sustainable solutions meeting customer demands.
Service Performance Monitoring of the Application Managed Services provided by our strategic partners belongs to the role to meet the agreed KPIs. This includes periodic reviews and the use of defined processes to hand over new services.
At Merck MDG is connected to all relevant ERP systems to centrally create, change, and distribute, or to consolidate master data across the complete enterprise system landscape. The integration of all those components and the participation in architecture design decisions is also part of this position.
Range of Responsibilities
Ensure customer satisfaction through proper solution design delivery, applications life cycle management and service performance monitoring while maintaining necessary internal (process, security) and external (GxP, GDPR, license) compliance.
Secure minimal business disruption on application go live based on proper design and formal project hand-over process.
Operational Vendor Management & Reporting
- Manage vendor service performance against below processes
- Establish the required improvements plan as per identified gaps and/or defined requirements
- Secure timely issuance of periodic performance report and annual service reviews
- Lead the resolution of critical or complex incidents including related crisis management when appropriate
- Coordinate communication and coordination with the relevant stakeholders (Infrastructure, GIAM team, business key users, etc.)
- Lead master plan and priorities toward ticket elimination and automation
- Proactively suggest possible solutions and propose an action plan for improvement to management
Contribute to deliver project execution as per committed milestones through proper reporting of demand forecast, capacity planning, WP planning and execution tracking.
- Orchestrate the planning process for the respective area and manage project portfolio of related team/unit
- Support the prioritization of the portfolio across all entities to keep budget and OP guidance
- Review forecast, actuals and status of portfolio and ensure consistency and data quality as well alignment with given target and appropriate capacity management
- Interact with Project Managers to ensure correct reporting and adherence to KPIs
- Closely interact with Portfolio Planning Managers, IT Controlling, IT PMO and Planning Process Owner
Change and Release Management
- Establish documentation of current and target application architecture (incl. CMDB)
- Establish and implement the Life Cycle Mgmt plan for applications in scope
- Secure Change Management processes in line with relevant SOPs
- Ensure complete and accurate handover documents created prior to production release
- Manage the application portfolio at the most appropriate level of release
- Contribute in the technical design of applications/solutions in portfolio
- Provide technical services and functional advice on the implementation of business applications
- Provide functional/technical support to project teams
- Provide the technical input for defining and maintaining the development standard and guidelines
- Bachelor/Master degree or equivalent in Computer Sciences and/or Business Administration
- 10-year experience in software or applications services
- 5-year experience within an international environment
- English mandatory (written and spoken)
- An additional language (German) is an asset
Skills & Competencies
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to make difficult decisions and act autonomously
- Strong understanding of SAP MDG focusing on the Supplier domain with at least 3-year experience (MDG-S concepts BP/vendor)
- Ability to customize/review MDG-S configuration and to create corresponding technical specification; MDG concepts (Data modelling, BRF+, ALE, Web Services, etc.)
- Understanding of the ‘Consolidation engine’ (UI process & set up experience)
- Basic understanding in ABAP (programs, function modules, enhancements) debugging capabilities
- Knowledge in SOA and IDoc replication
- Good ERP domain knowledge primarily in the Purchasing module