A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: The Cell Sciences group, as part of the Protein and Cell Sciences (PCS) department, evaluates candidate molecules for stable expression and generates stable clonal cell lines for the purpose of manufacturing candidate biologic therapeutics. The Cell Sciences Scientist will contribute to the drug discovery efforts of EMD Serono by using state of the art methods and technologies to deliver to the project teams non-clonal cell lines and clonal cell lines suitable for toxicology studies and to bring our proteins into the clinic.
Key tasks will include:
- Development of stable, non-clonal and clonal cell lines for the expression of therapeutic candidate proteins
- Technology development and/or evaluation to improve productivity of cell lines/process or throughput of cell line development or predictive models
- Cell Culture applications for the expression and selection of therapeutic candidate molecules from deep well plates to small stirred-tank bioreactors
- Productive interactions with other members of PCS, the New Biological Entities (NBE) organization, and Research, which enable projects and technologies to move forward
- Participate on project teams with the NBE organization
- Work independently and mentor colleagues
- Write and review Research Operating Protocols and cell line generation reports
- Present cell line generation information to cross-functional teams
- Present data and developments at internal seminars
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry or related Science discipline with 3+ years’ experience in general cell culture techniques or Master’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry or related Science discipline
- Bachelor’s degree with 7+ years’ experience or Master’s with 5+ years’ experience
- Solid understanding of bacterial and mammalian cell line development in an industry setting from both a technical and a business perspective as well as a strong foundation in cell and molecular biology
- Experience in protein expression in alternative host cell lines, protein expression, improving host cell lines and vector design for the purpose of improving protein expression and cell line performance, automated systems and productivity, and small stirred-tank bioreactor operation, is a plus
- Knowledge and experience of general cell culture techniques, including transfection, selection, cloning, small scale production models and protein expression. Direct experience with mammalian cell lines such as CHO, HEK-293 and NS/0 is preferred. Bacterial and fungal expression system experience is a bonus.
- Familiarity with instruments commonly used in the cell line generation lab: Guava, Cedex, ViCell, Octet, Cellavista, FACS Aria. Use of automated systems, is a plus.
- Background in cell and molecular biology, with experience in host cell engineering, cell culture process development, vector development, and/or development of novel assays to aid in cell line generation
- Ability to communicate effective both verbally and in written form with peers and senior management.
- Familiarity with analytical assays as they relate to protein product quality
- Familiarity with cell culture performance at various scales, from multi-well plates to bioreactors is preferred
- Experience with developing cell lines for multiple projects within a platform framework and small stirred-tank bioreactor operation is highly desirable
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.