A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
As a Software Engineer I within our Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) group in our Rockville Maryland facility, your role is to design, develop and implement software applications to support the full range of genomics service offerings. These services broadly span the product biosafety and pharmacogenomics fields.
Your primary responsibilities will be to provide core computational/infrastructure development and technical (programming/pipeline development) functions supporting a range of genomics-based (e.g. next generation) testing services. You will liaise closely with management and the bioinformatics and software engineering/IT teams and end users (including support staff) to understand needs and requirements to aid in software development. You will be expected to lead by example and work collaboratively to advance the application of NGS in the field of biosafety testing.
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree with 2+ years in information technologies or computational sciences/programming Or Master's degree with 0-1 years in information technologies or computational sciences/programming
- Experience in bioinformatics pipeline development or any other software development with Perl or Python preferably in a Linux environment.
- Strong understanding of software design principles and best practices with solid understanding of information architecture and usability principles
- Experience with object-oriented design and development.
- Experience with Unit testing and integration testing.
- Proficiency in using Linux command line including bash, awk etc.
- Familiarity with container and container orchestration in any cloud platform is a plus.
- Experience with database management systems like PostgreSQL, mySQL and Oracle is a plus.
- Experience working with software version control systems (git/bitbucket preferred)
- Effective oral and written communication skills including drafting standard operating procedures, user requirements, design specifications, software lifecycle documentation etc.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.