A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
EMD Serono is a leading North American biopharmaceutical company exclusively focused on specialty care for more than 40 years. The North American healthcare business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, integrates cutting-edge science, innovative products and devices, as well as industry-leading patient support and access programs. EMD Serono’s commerical business has a deep expertise in neurology and immunology, fertility and endocrinology, oncology, immuno-oncology, immunology and a strong pipeline of potential therapies in oncology, immuno-oncology, immunology and autoimmune disesase. EMD Serono is pursuing activities in selected indications for highly specialized therapeutic areas mainly treated by specialists. In addition to Phase I products focused on oncology, immuno-oncology and autoimmune disease, the pipeline includes products that benefit patients who suffer from the following cancers: ovarian, urothelial, head and neck tumors, hepatocellular, as well as multiple sclerosis, chronic plaque psoriasis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, systems lupus erythematosus, systemic sclerosis with interstitial lung disease, and osteoarthritis.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Field Force Effectiveness, EMD Serono, Inc. the Associate Director, Leadership Excellence and Coaching Capabilities will design training strategies and programs that support commercial leadership objectives and initiatives specific to the development of first line and second line commercial managers. The Associate Director will lead and direct the overall design, development and delivery of the training and development programs necessary to drive leadership competencies and performance of current and emerging leaders within the commercial business. This will include emerging leader program, first-line manager programs, and second-line manager programs. The role requires a high level of collaboration with commercial leaders (field and HQ), Therapeutic Area (TA) Heads, the Senior Director of Field Force Effectiveness (FFE), as well as Human Resources, U.S. Business Excellence, Legal, Compliance, and Regulatory. The individual will report to the Senior Director of U.S. FFE.
Purpose of the role:
The Director of Leadership Excellence and Coaching Capabilities owns Learning and Development strategy and program design and delivery through the execution of programs that drive success against business imperatives for the US Commercial Organization. Through a proactive approach to building high impact leadership development experiences, effectively administers programs, resolves issues, and supports ongoing program improvements through traditional as well as blended learning and drives a learning culture by leveraging multiple avenues, such as forums (i.e., performance consulting) and team effectiveness (i.e., the Lencioni Model) with success and impact measured by surveys, assessments and business results. Serve as a best practice/quality/subject matter expert and be acknowledged as an authority both inside and outside the discipline as one of a limited number of experts in the organization.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Build and sustain relationships with US Commercial leaders to ensure a deep and thorough knowledge of the current and future leadership needs of the commercial organization.
- Collaborates with the US Operating Committee to establish the strategic learning vision in order to build high impact developmental programs for all of The Company’s new and current commercial leaders.
- Collaborates with US Commercial Leadership teams to establish the strategic vision in order to build high impact developmental programs for all The Company’s emerging leaders as identified through Talent Reviews.
- Build and continuously evaluate and improve a formal Emerging Leader Program for all critical leadership roles across the US Commercial Business.
- Build and execute formal onboarding curriculum for new leaders and build and execute formal developmental curriculum for current field leaders
- Through use of Performance Consulting, develop a training gap analysis plan and ensure a full understanding of learning and development needs for specialized roles and business initiatives. Ensures training strategy and programs align to these needs.
- Establishes and maintains key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure effectiveness of learning programs, tools and resources and ensure these measures inform future curriculum and evolution of training programs.
- Work closely with internal and external leadership development experts to ensure implementation of optimal development for first-line, second-line, and emerging leaders.
- Fosters partnerships with other functions within Corporate and consults on optimal delivery of programs in conjunction with training. Collaborate with internal teams and external experts on learning strategies to support driving a fully aligned, result-oriented, highly effective team of leaders.
EDUCATION & LANGUAGES
- BA/BS required
- MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Executive Coaching Certification a strong plus
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 10-12 years of Leadership experience in healthcare industry required.
- 10- 12 years of Leadership development experience in training/ learning and development required.
- Experience in commercial learning required
- Ability to manage (without formal influence or authority) managing and developing people including managing leaders of others
- Product Launch experience required
- Understanding of the US biotech specialty space and with demonstrated ability to learn and master diverse therapeutic areas and complex business environments
- Experience in multiple specialty disease areas is a strong plus
- Exceptional business acumen, deep customer insights and grasp of complex analytics required
- Strategic ability to define a clear path in a complex environment, utilizing strong analytical skills to navigate through complex challenges, overcoming areas of ambiguity and deliver well thought out business solutions to seize opportunities for business growth
- Ability to demonstrative creative and innovative strategies
- Proven success record for driving strong results as an influential leader who obtains results through positive actions
15 – 20% domestic and/or international travel
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.