A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Position is a laboratory scientist position in a business-based PD and manufacturing environment. The position’s primary focus is the execution and improvement of the Process Hazards Safety Program and execution of development activities utilizing hazard evaluation equipment including RC1e, EasyMax HFCal, DSC, ARC, TSu II, BAM Fallhammer, BAM Friction tester, and standard laboratory equipment in conjunction with sound analytical platforms.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Conduct formal hazard evaluations and record as Process Hazard Evaluation reports in accordance with current process safety SOPs to ensure that all processes can be conducted safely prior to manufacture.
- Run associated hazard evaluation experiments identified in the hazard evaluation using RC1e, EasyMax HFCal, DSC, ARC, TSu II, BAM Fallhammer, BAM Friction tester, or submit to outside vendors for other experiments, interpret results, and write hazard evaluation experimental reports.
- Lead formal risk assessments for laboratory and kilo laboratory scale manufacturing processes and write corresponding risk assessment reports.
- Work in collaboration with process development scientists, R&D Managers, Process Engineers, Technical Operations, Environmental Health and Safety, and production chemists to gather information necessary for process hazard evaluations and risk assessments and minimize technical transfer time by synergistically combining process development experiments or scale-up runs with hazard evaluation experiments.
- Provide input to Management regarding the development and implementation of newly innovative technologies.
- Must work well in a team environment, and possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Author operating procedures, utilize Process Development personnel, and train employees on process safety.
- Work in accordance with FDA, OSHA, EPA, DNR, DOT, other regulatory agency guidelines, MilliporeSigma corporate safety guidelines and procedures, and Environmental Health and Safety guidelines and procedures.
- Assist in project quote generation by helping screen out processes and chemicals that cannot be safely handled at SAFC Madison/Verona.
- Adhere to SAFC’s ethical and behavioral standards as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Keep administrative and process safety records and write regular status reports.
- Assist with organizing records of process safety incidents and incident investigations as assigned.
- Become a role model for other PD and manufacturing employees through superb work habits and excellent occupational behavior.
- In addition, the following specific program requirements will include:
- Evaluating chemical processes; suggest and implement process improvements.
- Evaluating and supporting scale-up and risk-mitigation strategies.
- Leading process development projects as assigned.
Who you are:
- A Ph.D. in organic chemistry with 7+ years’ experience in industry, with a thorough understanding of chemical process safety.
- Through understanding and experience with process development and manufacturing techniques from laboratory to scale-up laboratory, kilo scale, pilot plant scale, and plant scale.
- Thorough understanding and the ability to execute and interpret up-to-date process safety experimental techniques, which could include DSC, ARC, TSu, RC1, CHETAH, shock and friction sensitivity, and hazard evaluation literature information including Brethericks, etc.
- Ability to manage maintenance and utilization of hazard evaluation and laboratory automated equipment and software for their requisite job function.
- Active participation in PHAs and risk assessments.
- Must be able to work closely with site EHS to guarantee that all department safety concerns are addressed in accordance with corporate guidelines.
- Scientific problem solving skills, i.e., ability to identify crucial issues in experimental work and suggest possible solutions
- Strong verbal skills, including the ability to give presentations and to speak to large groups. Must be able to establish rapport with non-technical parts of the company as well.
- Proven ability to work within a matrix team environment to meet critical project milestones, while at the same time ensuring sound process safety controls.
- Must be proficient at use of standard office computers as well as software for laboratory work (data capture, data analysis, plotting, etc.). Specific programs include, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, CHETAH, and JMP.
- Demonstrate superior organizational skills and the ability to multi-task proficiently.
- The following are desired, but not necessary requirements.
- Ability to read and understand patents, interact with designated legal counsel, and provide technical council on the impact of area of science of interest.
- Knowledge and understanding of cGMP other relevant quality systems overall goals, implementation and application.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.