A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
At MilliporeSigma, the R&D New Product Development team in Burlington, MA is seeking a hands-on Plastics / Materials development engineer to implement appropriate materials for new consumables, hardware, and instrumentation that meet our life science customers’ needs in an environmentally sustainable and responsible way.
The essential job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identify plastics, elastomers, and other materials and develop tests, prototypes, and fixtures to evaluate against customer requirements
- Design device assemblies with an understanding of press/snap fits, gaskets, ultrasonic welding, thermal bonding, adhesive / solvent bonding, etc.
- Create CAD models and drawings and utilize machining, injection molding, casting, forming, 3D printing and other methods to evaluate materials and designs
- Use in-house tools and work with contractors to analyze material interactions – metrology (CMM, optical comparator), Instron, SEM, spectrometry, structural analysis, etc.
- Work on technical development projects to investigate new materials and surface treatments as they could relate to the various applications (i.e. cell and protein research, bioseparation)
- Interact with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, designers, etc. to solve complex problems and communicate recommendations.
- Attend conference and trainings to continually advance knowledge in new materials, treatments, and sustainability.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Plastics, Materials or related Engineering discipline with 3+ years’ experience in plastics or materials engineering or Master’s degree in Plastics, Materials or related Engineering discipline
- In depth understanding of various plastic materials, rubbers, metals, etc. as it relates to device design.
- Proficient with CAD (Solidworks, Creo) and ability to create detailed drawings.
- Experience with plastic part design for injection molding.
- Understanding of other manufacturing methods such as blow molding, casting, thermoforming, etc.
- Experience with plastic assembly such as snap/press fits design, gasket design, ultrasonic welding, thermal bonding, and adhesive / solvent bonding.
- Experience developing prototyping strategies that use various techniques such as machining, 3D printing, molding, casting, thermoforming, etc.
- Experience with complex problem solving, designing of experiments, analyzing, and presenting findings.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills with the ability to work with scientists, engineers, design, molding, manufacturing, and suppliers.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.