A career at our company is an ongoing journey of discovery: our around 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
The Head, Medical Communications has accountability to oversee all medical communication activities on a global level, including all compounds both in development and marketed. This includes:
- Accountability for medical communication strategies, detailing communication objectives, key messages and time points/ venues; driving those deliverables in a cross-functional setting within the frame of program/ product teams.
- Key accountable interface with Clinical Development and Medical Affairs
- Ensuring alignment with IDP as well as medical strategies
- Providing guidance to Medical Communication Directors on strategic direction and frame for impact generation beyond Global Medical Communication
- Overseeing the deliveries of items of the cross-functional medical publication strategy and plans within time, cost and quality parameters
- Guiding development of other medical communication materials for appropriate communication activities, such as integrated Medical Communication plans Scientific Communication Platforms, congress materials and other deliverables (e.g. congress planer, claims binder, etc.).
- Ensuring close collaboration of GMC team with medical information team to ensure delivery of high quality GRDs and insight generation.
- Overseeing development of global networks and communities of best practice, to support collaboration with local Medical Affairs and R&D colleagues, by for example providing them with insights and trainings. Drives globally aligned approaches to ensure one-voice approach
- Supervising senior experts for Medical Communication (Medical Communication Directors) providing them with strategic directors to give them framework they can align their work with company prioritizes and objectives
- Supervising as well as engages in cross-functional teams & initiatives with diverse stakeholders to achieve high quality & compliant medical deliverables; works closely together with key stakeholders within R&D and other relevant functions as well as with external academic experts/ Key Opinion Leaders as well as consultants/ agencies
- Driving for constant process improvements
- Supervising the delivery of respective quality documents (Policy, SOP, WI and Related Tools) that ensure compliant and state of the art approaches within the company for medical communications
- Serving as a best practice resource for any topic on medical communication within the company; provides direction for any topics that require approval or authorization as per policy.
- Driving innovations for GMC in alignment with broader strategies
- Acting as ambassador for GMC with in the broader organization
- Directing the interactions with vendors and other service providers.
- Defining appropriate KPIs to measure impact of GMC department
- Managing the budget for external agencies
- Impacts the engagement with stakeholders internally at senior executive and director level within Program Team, Launch teams, Medical Affairs, and Publication Sub-team; externally with key opinion leaders and investigators by driving the publishing & communication of outcome of our global clinical and medical activities
- In alignment with program strategy as well as medical affairs/ product strategy, generates key outputs; proposing approaches and driving forward the execution in terms of med communication deliverables; is accountable for all med communications materials DP1 to marketed
- Drives forward the implementation of high-quality medical communication materials, thereby impacting the external visibility and reputation of our company
- Challenges senior stakeholders in the program and product teams, and beyond, to ensure achievement of high quality & timely livery of medical communication items.
- Drives the future direction and approach for Medical Communication Departments
- Impacts on global-local material of educational value and MSL training materials (modules on product, process, and compliance)
SCOPE OF PEOPLE RESPONSIBILITY
- Manages sizeable team of professionals in area of medical communications, and has accountability for their work and deliverables
- Manages the team, including objective setting, coaching and developing of employees, performance appraisals and regular feedback and coaching, employee compensation, etc.
- Regular reviews resource and allocation of work packages, to optimally achieve results thought the team
- Defines and adapts (if required) team organization, respective roles and responsibilities
- Ensures transparency and responsibilities on direct (and indirect) budgets
- Acts as senior advisor on all medical publications related topics in a program team and with senior management on a global level
Who You Are:
- University degree with a concentration in the sciences, Advance degree (MD or PhD) preferred
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- 12+ years of professional experience in an international Pharma/ Biotech setting
- 10+ years of work in a Pharma/ Biotech Medical Communication/Medical Publications department or equivalent (e.g. agency)
- Proven track record (8+ years) of successful Medical Communication Strategies and deliverables with focus on Medical Publications
- Several years of international experience and demonstrated success in managerial position(s) involving influence and interaction with other departments and interaction with externals
- Relevant experience in various aspects of drug development process especially medical affairs, publications, clinical, biostatistics.
- Significant depth and breadth of expertise with very solid knowledge of the market, as well as pharmaceutical business, competitors and trends in the industry.
- Complex project management as well as stakeholder management experiences.
- Proven track record of successful Medical Communication Strategies and deliverables
- Has a clear sense of accountability, proactive in the style of working and makes sure with “end in mind” that deliverables are achieved according to expectations
- Strong leadership and influencing skills, effective at a senior level in the organization. Clear results orientation
- Strong analytical skills and ability to understand complex processes and to problem solve solutions. Adaptability and flexibility to switch between projects, priorities if necessary
- Ability to lead and follow several projects at the same time.
- Proven people leadership skills and experience as line manager
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact constructively with all functions and management levels in the organization.
- Excellent top-class verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to put together well-structured presentations for various forums.
- Ability to represent the company and to negotiate at all levels both internally and externally.
- Ability to perform normal and routine office duties
- Ability to travel up to 30% of time domestically and internationally
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com