A career at our company is an ongoing journey of discovery: our around 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
We are a leading science and technology company. Its life science business offers a broad range of innovative products and services to biotech and pharmaceutical drug therapies businesses. Through dedicated collaboration with the scientific and engineering communities, and as one of the top three R&D investors in the life science tools industry, the brand serves as a strategic partner to customers and helps advance the promise of life science.
The EHS Officer supports operations of multiple laboratory facilities and provide Industrial and biosafety level-2 laboratory (Occupational) Hygiene, Safety & Environmental assistance to site management in the prevention of occupational injuries (and illnesses) and emissions to the environment.
What You Do:
As the EHS Officer, you will support multi-discipline laboratories and departments performing biosafety testing operations, Process Development and Application Engineering work (M Lab), cell culture media development (IA/ MDS) in a building totally 3500 squares meters with +50 team members on the site.
- Ensure biosafety measures, personal protection and safe handling and disposal of biowaste/ chemical waste is followed in laboratory operations.
- Assist site management/ laboratory operations in the reduction of injuries and incidents.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, occupational hygiene and safety regulatory requirements.
- Ensure site personnel are competent in performing Risk Assessments and ensuring needed Risk Assessments are completed.
- Identify risk reduction methods and work with site management in implementing those methods.
- Conduct EHS related training (spill management, infectious waste management, chemical hazard and containment).
- Conduct safety inspections and ensure site personnel are competent in performing safety inspections.
- Interact routinely with site management, supervision and personnel on EHS related matters.
- Prepare EHS compliance related reports and correspondence, both internally and externally (regulatory bodies).
- Handle near miss incidences, perform FMEA and implement CAPA to reduce injuries and incidents.
- Perform EHS risk assessment of equipment, facility and utilities to ensure site is prepared for and ready to respond in the event of emergency.
- Oversee mandatory vaccination requirement and establish medical emergency process.
- Secure permits and approval from national regulatory authorities for storage, handling and import/export of hazardous materials and biologicals.
Ensure site’s EHS Management System is in place and functioning effectively to include:
- Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment & Control
- Legal and Other Requirements
Who You Are:
Education & Qualification:
- Degree Biological Science/Chemistry/Occupational Health and Safety/Industrial Hygiene/Environmental
- Registered workplace safety and health officer (WSHO) and attained and completed Management of Hazardous Substance Course
- Minimum 5+ years of EHS related experience in biosafety level 2
Knowledge and Skills:
- Occupational Health and Safety and Environmental compliance standards especially pertaining to laboratory operations.
- Emergency preparedness and response related to; security, fire, chemical, medical and nature caused events.
- Chemical and biological laboratory safety (biosafety level 2).
- Hazard control methods
- Construction safety and basic industrial toxicology.
- Infectious Solid hazardous waste control and disposal technologies.
- Occupational disease prevention and control methods.
- Industrial ventilation (general and local exhaust) and basic indoor air contaminant control methods.
- Personal protective equipment including PPE program administration.
- Adult training program development and delivery.
- Respiratory protection including program administration.
- Basic Industrial (Occupational) Hygiene assessment and sampling methods.
- Basic Accident investigation methods.
- Electrical safety fundamentals.
- Basic hazardous work (confined space entry, hot work and line breaking) safety fundamentals.
- Flammable and combustible liquids safety fundamentals.
- Risk assessment fundamentals.
- Basic process safety management practices.
- Basic Life Safety (emergency egress, lighting and alarms) practices.
- Basic fire detection and suppression methods.
- Incipient fire suppression techniques.
Additional Local needs
- Must be able to work overtime and flexible shifts to maintain 7-day lab operation facility.
- This position requires the ability to:
- Don/doff and wear PPE including emergency response equipment,
- Work in ambient temperature and humidity environments.
- Perform public speaking to include meeting with and provide training for site personnel.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com