A career with EMD Performance Materials is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Performance Materials is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
This position will support the Global Compliance Officer Performance Materials responsible for the Company’s group compliance program, including program governance, policy development, risk assessment, third party risk management, monitoring, compliance counselling, communication, investigations, and management reporting. This position will be responsible for reducing and managing the risk of violating laws related to Anti-corruption (e.g., the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act), Antitrust and Competition, Anti-Kickback and False Claims Act applicable to the Company’s performance materials business in the United States.
Responsibilities for this position will include but are not limited to:
- Implementing and managing the Group Compliance program focused on business in the United States, to ensure effective prevention and detection of violations of law, regulations and internal policies;
- Partnering closely with colleagues across all levels of Commercial, Legal, and other supporting function organizations to ensure employee adherence to the Company’s Values, Code of Conduct, and other internal policies and procedures into corporate business practices;
- Responding to inquiries and advising employees and managers at all levels of the organization on applicable laws and internal policies to help them ensure business planning and activities are done in accordance with applicable requirements;
- Conducting and reporting periodically on risk assessments to proactively review and prioritize the Company’s compliance related risks;
- Implementing effective two-way communication practices to receive information from, and communicate information to, employees regarding the company’s compliance initiatives;
- Developing and delivering appropriate compliance education and training programs to ensure employees’ practical understanding of ethics and compliance issues and related policies and procedures;
- Execute routine, risk-based monitoring and auditing of relevant business activities and related policies and procedures;
- Assist in and oversee the implementation of corrective action plans as necessary;
- Maintaining a risk-based third-party risk management program, including adequate pre-engagement due diligence, vendor training and monitoring;
- Supporting or leading internal investigations and resulting remediation into reported compliance concerns or any allegations of misconduct, as require;
- Travel up to 20% of the time.
The position can be located in Allentown (PA) or Tempe (AZ).
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, law, etc.
- 3+ years of ethics and compliance experience supporting global organizations within relevant industries (e.g. chemicals, semiconductors, cosmetics)
- Master of Business Administration or Juris Doctorate preferred, other relevant accreditations or degrees considered.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to global industrial companies, including among other things, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, other nations’ and transnational anti-corruption laws and conventions, competition law, False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally and collaboratively across a diverse, highly-matrixed organization.
- Must be able to work collaboratively in a team environment with a wide variety of company personnel on a broad range of matters, including, scientists, Healthcare Professionals, attorneys and individuals of different nationalities.
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously, and to work independently while managing discrete areas of responsibility with little direct supervision.
- Working knowledge of, and interest in, the use technological solutions to better manage risk within an organization through automation of tasks and the collection and analysis of data. Proficiency in data analysis preferred.
- Able to thrive in a proactive, values-driven culture in which compliance and business objectives are mutually reinforcing; strong motivation and ability to champion a comprehensive compliance program.
- Excellent organization, communication (verbal and written) with fluency in written and spoken English required, and prioritization skills, including the ability to communicate concisely.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.