A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Assist the Site Director in administrating the company’s environmental, safety, health, and security services functions. Lead EHS department in developing, interpreting, and implementing policies and procedures for performing required functions. Ensures proper training of staff, prepares related reports, and audits current procedures for quality, safety, and efficiency.
- Responsible for leading the Environmental, Health, and Safety organization
- Maintains safety and compliance with all applicable regulations
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of the Company’s environmental and safety strategies through program development and training, and ensure the Company’s operations comply with EHS regulatory requirements and Company policies/initiatives.
- Manage the Industrial Hygiene Program and related activities.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining site PSM & RMP programs
- Leads incident investigations across site.
- Responsible for the execution of the waste management processes to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements
- Responsible for the development and administration of the Environmental Management System (ISO 14001) and Occupational Health and Safety Management System (ISO 45001) and to continually improve their effectiveness
- Coordinates site safety program including Behavior Based Safety, Safety Walkabouts, and Humantech Assessments.
- Plans, directs and coordinates department operational activities to accomplish goals
Scope of People Responsibility
- Supervise and develop environmental and safety personnel to insure quality of service, adherence to technical skill requirements, work levels, production schedules, and proper coordination of activities.
- Maintains work guidelines, provides feedback, and issues warnings and disciplinary action to employees
- Facilitates professional growth of employees through discussion, internal and external training, and opportunities to participate on departmental and cross-functional teams.
- Motivation and leadership of employees
- Supports all site operations in their adherence to EHS principles and policies.
- Manage/administer and coordinate facilities’ emergency preparedness and response as appropriate.
- Defines department objectives and develops long and short-range plans together with supporting budget requests.
- Prepares and monitors department budget
- Purchases capital equipment, justifying purchase cost through cost benefit analysis and addressing purchase specifications, product quality, and terms of delivery.
- Manage all environmental and safety reporting and record-keeping activities to ensure the Company receives, maintains, and renews all required environmental and safety licenses, permits and registrations.
- Files in a timely manner all required reports and responses to agency requests, and maintains all required records and data in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Manage Site Security program and DHS CFATS requirements
- Evaluates audit reports, assigns corrective actions, and coordinates the implementation of improvements
- Responsible for management of EHS departmental vendors.
Who you are:
- Strong leadership, problem solving skills and organizational ability. Must be decisive in an environment with high volume, high data input.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively both written and orally with all levels of staff.
- Strong technical skills – ability to interpret and evaluate information submitted by technical (analytical) specialists.
- Knowledge / Experience with ISO 9001, 14001, and 45001
- Experience with planning and managing budgets
- Knowledge of SAP, preferred
- Risk-based thinking and continuous improvement
- Broad knowledge of environmental and/or safety regulations.
- Knowledge of OSHA, CAA, CWA, RCRA, EPCRA, SARA, PSM, RMP, CFATS will be used frequently.
- Knowledge of regulatory agency personnel, systems, policies, and procedures.
- Industry experience and some process knowledge, preferably chemical-related.
- Knowledge of injury and illnesses prevention control methods, including PPE, engineering controls, and administrative controls.
- Knowledge of methods used to control environmental releases.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety principles, including Ergonomics, Loss Prevention, and Fire Protection Systems.
- Knowledge of emergency response procedures.
- Computer software knowledge (word processing, spreadsheets, database management, graphics)
- First line responders to all types of emergencies (fire, chemical, medical) 24/7.
- May assume role of Incident Commander or train to back-up level
- May potentially be exposed to chemical and hot or cold temperatures.
- This position requires the person to walk and climb stairs, lift, carry and move equipment weighing up to 30 pounds as needed within their assigned work area or site.
- The employee would be exposed to the normal work conditions of the various operations within the Norwood facilities.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.