A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Payer Marketing Associate Director will develop & implement public and private payer segment market access and pull through strategies and tactical plans for products across therapeutic areas. This position will work in collaboration with Brand Marketing, the Access Influencer Management team, Health Economics, Legal, Regulatory, Commercial Analytics, Medical Affairs, Field Sales Management, and Sales Training to ensure development of optimal payer marketing strategies and tactics.
Lead the development and implementation of the annual US Market Access pull-through strategy, in line with brand objectives, for a potential future launch within Oncology and existing brands in market. Pull-through strategies will focus on maximizing return of access investments across for key channels (commercial insurance plans, PBMs, Specialty Pharmacy, Medicaid, Medicare, Oncology community clinic GPOs, and Federal channels). Responsibilities include compliant pull through tactics, and managing budget in collaboration with MACS Account Management, Operations, HEOR, Brand Marketing teams. Plans will become part of Market Access Launch and Brand plans for existing brands. Conduct in-depth strategic analyses of the managed markets landscape for assigned products and provide strategic recommendations to Senior Management based on insights. Direct the execution of pull and push through plans across relevant functions including MACS AIM Account Management, Specialty Pharmacy Solutions Management, Brand Sales and Marketing, Business Excellence, Reimbursement Managers, and Sales Training. Working closely with the Corporate Account Directors, identify opportunities for pull-through programs with key accounts that are aligned with overarching brand strategies. Develop strong lines of communication and partnership with key internal leaders to help lead various commercial initiatives and teams to take full advantage of “pull-through opportunities.” Serve as a strategic partner to assist in the development and execution of Market Access Channel strategies. This includes execution of EMD Serono’s customer engagement strategy and contract strategies with a broad range of access influencers such as: integrated delivery networks (IDNs), accountable care organizations (ACOs), group purchasing organizations (GPOs), specialty pharmacy providers (SPPs), managed care organizations (MCOs), pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs), and government payers (e.g., VA/DoD, Indian Health Services, State Medicaid). Manage agency and vendor relationships to develop promotional programs and tactics aligned with the payer plan (i.e.: syndicated market research initiatives, etc…). Support business development activities and new product planning through landscape analysis, understanding of access drivers and competitors, and evaluation of likely payer response to varying scenarios. Develop and maintain expert knowledge of the dynamics driving the various managed markets segments and channels including Commercial Managed Care, Medicare, Medicaid, and Health Exchanges. Effectively manage budgets and project timelines
Partner with therapeutic area marketing leads to develop and execute pull-through access strategies with playbooks for channel, segment, reimbursement managers, and key account management. Partner with Directors of Patient Services and HUB to further connect contract offerings with facilitation of enhanced patient access and process efficiencies. Work with access influencers to ensure continued profitable access with minimal restrictions for EMD Serono’s pharmaceutical products. Monitor the changing payer landscape mergers and acquisitions (industry consolidation), benefit design trends, strategic account trends, medical loss ratios, quality metrics, and the evolution of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and report on impact of market trends and events to EMD Serono customer relationships, programs, and brands. Provide proactive market feedback to Market Access and cross-functional teams on business trends, competitive updates, and industry issues and opportunities. Work closely with Corporate Account Directors (CADs) to ensure success of contractual agreements with key access influence accounts (e.g., pull-through programs and rebates). Partner with Legal and Compliance to ensure that all programs are consistent with the latest laws, guidance, and corporate policies. Lead, inspire, and engage with passion by modeling EMD Serono behaviors and working with a sense of urgency to achieve organizational goals. Cultivate an atmosphere of cross-functional collaboration and reciprocal communication that creates a winning environment and inspires all to hold themselves and others accountable for delivering excellence
Who you are
- Bachelors degree
- Fluent English language
- 5+ years biopharmaceutical commercial operations experience
- 2+ years’ experience in market Access function within payer marketing, national account management and/or contract operations
- Strong specialty product experience with understanding of specialty pharmacy channel & specialty product brand management
- Strong understanding of payer market dynamics and how managed care organizations make decisions across private & public channels
- Must have superior analytical ability to analyze current and future landscape and specific contract outcomes at the micro and macro level to make investment recommendations that impact our brands
- Ability to work and lead collaboratively in cross - functional teams across the managed markets organization, brand teams, finance, legal & regulatory
- Ability to identify leading trends, channel dynamics and translate to impactful access programs for our brands
- Identify problems and barriers and can quickly assimilate information to develop actionable and effective solutions
- Must be willing to execute tactics
- Must be comfortable working in a matrix reporting and cross-cultural environment
- Ability to translate strategies into measurable tactical programs that have high ROI for our brands
- Expert level knowledge of Managed Markets, and Specialty Distribution
- High level of integrity developing compliant strategies and works transparently with legal, regulatory and compliance.
- Strong analytical and financial skills including budgeting, forecasting, and management reporting
- Strong project management skills
- (i.e., normal office duties; must be able to push, lift, pull up to 30 pounds; travel demands, etc.)
- Normal and routine office duties
- Able to travel 20%
- Advanced degree such as MPH, PharmD or MBA
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.