Show All Results
Distribution Operations Supervisor
A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
An existing new opportunity has arisen to join our company as a Visalia Distribution Supervisor. You will serve as team member of strategic projects and partner with key functional areas including Planning, Finance, Customer Service, & Manufacturing.
Must demonstrate strong understanding of the business and key market drivers that have an impact on Distribution as well as other related functions. Possess a strong track record as a change agent and innovator in developing and deploying new strategies.
Reporting to the Regional Distribution Manager, the Distribution Supervisor will oversee the day-to-day activities of a certain department (Inbound; Outbound; Inventory Control; Returns, etc.) within our Visalia Distribution Center. This individual will supervise the employees and operations to ensure the department’s functions are carried out in an efficient and timely manner. This includes establishing performance standards, monitoring employee performance, and implement programs that will foster efficient processes and best practices. The Supervisor is responsible for adherence with all company operating procedures and government regulations (ISO, GMP, OSHA, DEA, DOT, CFR, IATA, IMO, etc.).
- Supervises the department under direction of the department manager.
- Trains employees and maintains corporate quality systems, including ISO registration.
- Participates in talent selection process.
- Engages in performance management and accountability discussions to develop and retain employees.
- Resolves and maintains employee relations through effective communication for the area including, team meetings and daily interaction.
- Applies company and department policies consistently.
- Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments and provide guidance to staff.
- Enforces company safety, work and housekeeping standards. Evaluates processes and methods, recommends and implements measures to improve safety. Reviews chemical handling precautions and ensure employees are trained on safe handling of hazardous chemicals
- Responds to emergency situations. Active member of the emergency hazardous materials response team, medical response team or evacuation team
- Recognize and initiate near miss reports. Complete accident/incident investigation reports within required time
- Conducts audits for compliance to procedures, rules and regulations. Provide feedback for both safe and unsafe actions
- Develops and maintains training documents and SOPs in assigned areas
- Monitor resources daily and schedules workload and staff accordingly for assigned area to maximize safety, quality, and productivity
- Responsible for achieving established safety, quality, delivery, inventory, cost and people goals.
- Distributes and directs work assignments.
- Maintains required documentation including unit records, productivity, and activity reports.
- Monitors labor and materials to control costs. Provides financial justification when recommending equipment purchases.
- Leads, initiates, promote and actively participate in process improvement initiatives and cross functional teams resulting in safety, quality, productivity and cost saving improvements.
- Ensures the correct chemicals are received, stored, packed and shipped to meet customer’s expectations and in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Ensure all packages conform to legal requirements for storage, and shipping of hazardous materials (DOT, CFR, IATA and IMO) as well as corporate and Factory Mutual policies
- Communicates with customers on special requirements and responds to corrective action requests
- Represents department during internal and external audits
- Coordinates with Sales & Marketing, Packaging Engineering, Procurement, Production, Packaging, Distribution, Compliance and Carriers and Freight Forwarders to resolve storage, packaging, shipping and customers concerns.
- Responds to Corrective Action requests (internal and external customers) within designated timeframe.
- Miscellaneous duties and tasks as assigned
- Ability to travel 10% domestic and internationally with ability to travel on short notice
- Works near moving mechanical parts (Conveyors, powered industrial vehicles). Required to wear appropriate protective equipment including gloves and safety glasses.
- Regularly uses phones, computers, computer monitors and all office equipment. The employee is also required to type at a computer keyboard and have the ability to read CRTs/computer monitors.
- Perform moderately physical activity.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or hazardous chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The employee may frequently sit, stand; walk; use hands, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell.
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds unassisted.
- Specific vision requirements of this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee may be required to wear an air helmet, mask, safety shoes, apron rubber and tyvek suits, protective gloves, and safety glasses and goggles while performing in this position.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Operations, Logistics, Natural Science, Business Administration, Engineering or International Transportation, OR High School Diploma or GED or Associates and 2+ years Supervisory experience, OR successful completion of Millipore Sigma Supervisor Training Program.
- 2+ years’ experience with business and key market drivers that have an impact on Distribution as well as other related functions, including Freight, Supply Chain Management, Transportation, and Warehousing.
- 2+ years’ experience as a change agent and innovator in developing and deploying new strategies.
- Operational experience in a Distribution Center or in Chemical Manufacturing is preferred.
- Strong PC & Analytical knowledge, with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint is required. Experience in Oracle and Business Objects reporting a strong plus.
- Lean Six Sigma experience and PMP Certification is preferred
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.