A career with EMD Performance Materials is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Performance Materials is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your role: A senior leadership position in the Thin Film Solutions (TFS) technology team to take responsibility for leading a team of scientists and engineers that develop new atomic layer deposition processes and establish a strong differentiated market position for new precursors used in these processes. This manager will be a member of the TFS technology leadership team and be responsible for collaborating with the other technology groups and for working closely with the marketing team to help prioritize the group’s efforts.
Lead and motivate a team charged with developing processes for ALD and CVD of thin films to be used for semiconductor applications. This leader must ensure the team engages in efficient experiment design and reliable data interpretation. They will prioritize the team’s efforts in line with the business strategy and customers’ needs to develop marketable differentiated solutions to these needs. The position also requires knowledge of ALD process equipment, characterization of thin films, and understanding how these films will be used in cutting-edge and future processes.
Key aspects of the position are as follows.
- Ensure that the research is conducted safely and that all team members actively participate in the safety program and follow all safety protocols; ensure that hazard analyses are done in a thorough and professional manner.
- Identify new ALD/CVD deposition processes by using new precursors and work seamlessly with the molecule synthesis teams to develop an understanding of structure/function relationships for these precursors.
- Help develop the strategy for achieving differentiated products through patents and trade secrets
- Understand the competitors’ and customers’ intellectual property to identify risks and opportunities.
- Develop new processes using novel co-reactants, process sequences and activation techniques that are enabled by our proprietary precursors.
- Help scientists interpret thin-film analytical results and design novel deposition and characterization methods in conjunction with Intermolecular® colleagues
- Participate in technology interchanges with customers and OEM partners and represent us at technical conferences
- Manage research and capital projects within established budgets
- Provide leadership and coaching support to the team
- Take responsibility for talent development and training for the team
Who you are:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, materials science or a related science or engineering discipline
- 8+ years of experience in semiconductor process development.
- Experience with leading technology teams and supervision of research scientists.
- Experience developing patentable technology and working with customers (domestic and international) and with marketing professionals.
- Excellent English communication skill (oral and written)
- Deep understanding of surface analysis
- Project management and developing capital projects
- Computational/modelling/statistics experience
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to analyze processes; dealing with noisy data and uncertainty
- Global cultural awareness
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.