Show All Results
Protein Purification Scientist
A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 56,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
At EMD Serono the Molecule group within Protein and Cell Sciences has an opening for a scientist with experience in protein purification and characterization. The primary function of the group is to deliver optimal protein candidate therapeutics for preclinical research primarily in the areas of oncology, immune-oncology and immunology. The candidate will focus on a variety of therapeutic candidate proteins including monoclonal antibodies, Fc fusion proteins, and His-tagged proteins in support of projects from early stage research to pre-clinical programs. The scope of work for the purification scientist will include protein purification, analytical characterization, novel purifications, purification process development, manufacturability evaluation, data analysis and project reporting. This is a collaborative and team-oriented position and coordination, communication and collaboration with discovery scientists and downstream colleagues will be critical.
The primary responsibility will be purification, biochemical and biophysical characterization of proteins. The role requires a focus on continuous improvement and implementation of new technology and innovation wherever possible. The candidate will be expected to generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner, providing technical reports, protocols, and scientific presentations as needed. The candidate is expected to serve as a trainer and mentor for junior staff in the laboratory, to work with minimal supervision, to analyze and interpret data, and to present/document the results at meetings.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry or other related Science discipline with 3+ years’ experience in protein purification or a Master’s degree in Biochemistry or other related Science discipline
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry or other related Science discipline with 7+ years’ experience in protein purification
- Master’s degree with 4+ years’ experience or PhD
- Expertise in routine protein purification with affinity, size exclusion, ion exchange chromatography using AKTA FPLC systems (Unicorn software)
- Expertise in protein structure, function and purification of antibodies, affinity-tagged, secreted proteins as well as "problematic" proteins (low expression, poor solubility, intra-cellular expression, prone to aggregation)
- Proficiency in protein extraction and solubilization methods, protein refolding and purification via affinity, hydrophobic interaction (HIC), ion exchange (IEX), size exclusion (SEC) and mixed-mode chromatography
- Expertise in routine characterization of proteins including SDS-PAGE, SE-HPLC, DSC, ELISA analytical and biophysical techniques. Experience with protein formulation strategies is highly desirable
- Experience with high-throughput small scale purification
- Interest in evaluating and developing new protein purification technologies
- Familiarity with mammalian, microbial and yeast protein expression is a plus
- Ability to train junior staff members including co-op students.
- Ability to initiate and champion new technologies.
- Ability to critically analyze data using statistical tools and to compile technical reports.
- Ability to manage multiple independent projects and complexity within a timeline driven environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in written form with peers and senior management.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.