Show All Results
Associate Scientist - Exploratory Immunology
A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 58,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in Healthcare, Life Science and Electronics. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
United As One for Patients, our purpose in Healthcare is to help create, improve and prolong lives. We develop medicines, intelligent devices and innovative technologies in therapeutic areas such as Oncology, Neurology and Fertility. Our teams work together across 6 continents with passion and relentless curiosity in order to help patients at every stage of life. Joining our Healthcare team is becoming part of a diverse, inclusive and flexible working culture, presenting great opportunities for personal development and career advancement across the globe.
EMD Serono is seeking an Associate Scientist to join the Exploratory Immunology team at our Billerica, MA research facility. The Associate Scientist will contribute to the discovery of drugs for treating autoimmune diseases. She/he will drive early drug discovery projects from concept generation, discovery, and validation of new targets and also to advancing established pipeline projects to the clinic.
The Associate Scientist will work in a team of scientists that develops and executes innovative approaches to propose new targets and therapeutic concepts. She/he will be responsible for cellular and biochemical assay development, experimental design and troubleshooting as required. Scouring literature for relevant assays or from collaborating scientists to support target validation and drug discovery efforts would be needed. The Associate Scientist will diligently document all research, be up to date with literature, support preparation of publications for scientific journals and present their research results at internal meetings.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Immunology, Biology, or related Scientific discipline with 1+ years’ experience in Immunology
- Master’s degree in Immunology or related discipline or Bachelor’s degree with 2+ years of laboratory experience in immunology or molecular/cell biology
- Experience in industry especially small molecule and biologics dose response assays
- Specific knowledge and hands-on experience in one or more of the following areas are highly desirable:
- Immune cell isolation from human whole blood/PBMC or mouse organs like spleen/bone marrow using MACS or STEM cell technology or related methods
- Tissue culture, especially human/mouse primary cell culture and various cell lines
- Cell-based assays: Transformation/transfection, differentiation, proliferation, FACS
- Molecular Biology: DNA/RNA isolation and quantification; SDS-PAGE, antibody labeling, Western blotting, RT-PCR, qPCR
- Bioanalytical assays: ELISA, chemiluminescence, fluorescence, HTRF or related assays
- Gene editing: shRNA, siRNA or CRISPR-Cas9/lentivirus transduction
- Cell imaging: confocal, fluorescence imaging and analysis
- Self-motivated, disciplined, and great organizational skill
- Ability to collaborate across cross-functional teams
- Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills
- Quick learner who can pick up new skills fast
- Passionate curiosity for science that has relevance for human health and disease
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.