Stefan Oschmann is Chairman of the Executive Board and CEO of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany. Before taking office at the end of April 2016, he served as Vice Chairman and Deputy CEO, with responsibility for Group Strategy, among other things.
Stefan Oschmann joined Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in 2011 as a member of the Executive Board and was responsible for the Healthcare business sector until the end of 2014. He drove the transformation of the Biopharma business by optimizing its cost structures and improving the efficiency of its research & development model, which included a clear portfolio prioritization. Furthermore, he played an instrumental role in the Group-wide transformation and growth program “Fit for 2018”.
Before joining Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, Stefan Oschmann worked for the U.S. pharma company MSD, where he served in a range of senior executive positions. He started his career at an agency of the United Nations, and worked for the German Chemical Industry Association (VCI).
Stefan Oschmann was born in Würzburg, Germany in 1957. He holds a doctorate in Veterinary Medicine from Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität in Munich. He is married and has two children.
Responsibility for Group functions
- Group Strategy & Transformation
- Group Legal & Compliance
- Group Internal Auditing
- Group Communications
- Public Affairs & Corporate Responsibility
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA), President
- Deutsche Welle, Member of the Business Advisory Board
- German Chemical Industry Association (VCI), Member of the Executive Committee
- Springer Nature, Member of the Supervisory Board