My favorite question to ask is "why?"... Why do cells exhibit certain behaviors under specific conditions? Why is the process engineer’s design space limited? Why is the product or system designed the way it is? In the context of product development here at our company, I have the opportunity to work with great people to brainstorm ways to investigate the answers to these questions, help define the user requirements, and continuously challenge and apply the results. It's easy to be motivated and excited to put the time and effort into developing innovative products when you are surrounding by people who share the same drive to be curious and creative. I enjoy working at Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany MilliporeSigma because we are part of the scientific community sharing the ultimate goal to drive bioprocessing technologies forward, and each time we succeed, we are contributing to advancements that directly impact people’s health, lives, and overall wellbeing.
My favorite question to ask is "why?"... Why do cells exhibit certain behaviors under specific conditions? Why is the process engineer’s design space limited? Why is the product or system designed the way it is?
Product Development Engineer
Joined Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany: 2009
Key research fields and topics:
- Single-Use Systems
- Product Development
Prizes and awards:
- President's Achieving Excellence Award (Wyeth Pharmaceuticals), 2006
CV & Scientific activities
- M.S. Engineering Management, Tufts University, Medford, MA
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
CV: Professional Career
CV: Professional Career
- Since 2016
- Product Development & Project Engineer, MilliporeSigma, Bedford, MA Life Sciences, R&D
- 2009 - 2015
- Applications Engineering Manager, MilliporeSigma, Bedford, MA Life Sciences, R&D
- 2007 - 2009
- Engineer III, Wyeth BioPharma (Pfizer, Inc.), Andover, MA. Bioreactor Process Development Group, R&D
- 2004 - 2007
- Engineer II, Wyeth BioPharma (Pfizer, Inc.), Andover, MA. Bioreactor Process Development Group, R&D
- 2002 - 2004
- Engineer I, Wyeth BioPharma (Pfizer, Inc.), Andover, MA. Bioreactor Process Development Group, R&D
- Gagnon, M., Hiller, G., Luan, YT, Kittredge, A., DeFelice, J., Drapeau, D. (2011). High-end pH-controlled delivery of glucose effectively suppresses lactate accumulation in CHO fed-batch cultures. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 108(6), 1328-1337.
- Wood, A., Gowda, S., Dinn, L., Simler, J., Ring, J., Mumira, J., Cunningham, M., Rapiejko, P. (2011). Use of Small Scale, single-use Bioreactors for Streamlining Upstream Process Development. Bioprocess J., 10(1), 34-39.
- Simler, J., Wood, A. (2011, 05) MOBIUS® SensorReady Technology: A Novel Approach to Monitoring Single-use Bioreactors. Poster selected for oral presentation at ESACT, Vienna, Austria.
- A.Wood, et al. (2011,05, 2011, 11) Characterization and Performance of the Mobius® CellReady 200 L Bioreactor System: The next Generation of Single-Use Bioreactors. Poster presentation at ESACT, Vienna and poster presentation at BPI, Long Beach, CA.
- Wood, A., Simler, J. (2011,06; 2011,10) Mobius® SensorReady Technology: A novel tool to bring flexibility and function to bioreactor process monitoring. Technology Workshop oral presentation at IBC Single-Use Applications for Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing, Boston, MA.; oral presentation at BioProduction, Berlin, Germany.
- Thiel, K., Simler, J., Wood, A.,Thaker, M., Rapiejko, P. (2012,06; 2012,04) Scalability of the Disposable Mobius® CellReady Stirred Tank Bioreactors. Poster presentation at IBC, San Francisco, CA.; poster presentation at Cell Culture Engineering, Scottsdale AZ.
- Hansen, A., Caulmare, J., Der, K., Harrington, A., Kraus, D., McSweeney, J., Messier, L., O’Brien, K., Porreco, D., Wood, A., Rapiejko, P. (2013, 06) Innovation in Bioreactor Design: Homogeneous Mixing with a Single Impeller and Novel Shaped Baffle. Poster Presentation at ESACT, Lille, France
- Wood, A., Hansen, A., Der, K., Ring, J., Mumira, J., Kraus, D., Simler, J., Thuet, F., Lahille, A., Rapiejko, P. (2015,06; 2016,04) Characterization and Scalability of the Mobius® Single-Use Bioreactors from Bench Scale to Clinical Scale. Poster presentation at ESACT, Barcelona, Spain; poster presentation at BPI Europe, Vienna, Austria.
- Der, K., Hansen, A., McSweeney, J., Kraus, D., Pearsons, J., Wood, A., Flexible Film Baffle in Single-Use Bioreactor. United States Patent Application Publication US 2016/0040113 A1, Feb 11, 2016.
- Der, K., Hansen, A., McSweeney, J., Kraus, D., Wood, A., Modular Aeration Device. United States Patent Application Publication US 2016/0244710 A1, Aug. 25, 2016.