My work provides me with the opportunity to engage with new and exciting challenges on a daily basis. The ability to contribute to state of the art research makes my role at our company highly enjoyable.
Our company will overcome the challenges set for it by the volatile consumer electronics industry. Once the industry stabilizes Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany should once again invest heavily into long-term research projects, where it has traditionally excelled. I thoroughly enjoy being part of these large, long-term research projects as my experience in the company has allowed me to become aware of the broader purpose of research both internally and externally.
My key motivation is to understand the unknown, to solve problems and to fix issues. I thrive on complex problems that require as much thought as they do practical application. I find my best ideas are formed when I'm away from the normal mode of working, be it in a conference, a different Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany site, or in a deep technical discussion. A different environment allows for a different solution. I can often form good ideas when in technical discussions with other highly technical people. Meetings with Universities are highly productive in terms of new ideas. I chose to work for Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany because of its dedication to research and development. Our company is determined to advance the state of the art in materials science, and that is something I definitely want to be part of.
My key motivation is to understand the unknown, to solve problems and to fix issues. I thrive on complex problems that require as much thought as they do practical application.
CV & Scientific activities
Publications (Primary Author)
- “Liquid crystal adaptive planar optical devices,” PhD Thesis, December 2010“
- Line defects and temperature effects in liquid crystal tunable planar Bragg gratings,” December 2007, Optics Express 15(25):17129-17135, DOI: 10.1364/OE.15.017129“
- UV-written planar chirped Bragg gratings for use in dispersion management,” April 2010, Conference: European Conference on Integrated Optics (ECIO) 2010“
- Direct Optical Observation of Walls and Disclination Effects in Active Photonic Devices,” May 2009, Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals 502(1):178-184, DOI: 10.1080/15421400902817015
- “The use of mould-templated surface structures for high-quality uniform-lying-helix liquid-crystal alignment,” June 2013, Journal of Applied Physics 113(21), DOI: 10.1063/1.4808341
- “Chemically induced twist-bend nematic liquid crystals, liquid crystal dimers, and negative elastic constants,” August 2013, Physical Review E 88(2):022503, DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevE.88.022503
- “Photonic Microcantilevers With Interferometric Bragg Grating Interrogation,” October 2012, IEEE Photonics Journal 4(5):1387-1395, DOI: 10.1109/JPHOT.2012.2210396
- “All-optical signal processing using planar Bragg gratings,” November 2011, Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, DOI: 10.1117/12.919071“
- UV written waveguide devices - Bragg gratings and Applications in Sensors,” March 2010, Conference: International Conference on Advancement of Materials and Nanotechnology, ICAMN 2007, DOI: 10.1063/1.3377803“
- Chemically induced twist-bend nematic liquid crystals, liquid crystal dimers, and negative elastic constants,” 2013, Phys. Rev. E., 88(2-A), 022503/1-022503/8. DOI:10.1103/PhysRevE.88.022503
- K. Adlem, P. Saxton, R. Tuffin, B. Snow, M. Namutebi, J. Allen, V. Cook, H. Arasi, M. Goebel, “Composition for nanoencapsulation and nanocapsules comprising a liquid-crystalline medium,” WO 2017178419 A1, Oct. 19, 2017.
- K. Adlem, D. Wilkes, P. Saxton, B. Snow, R. Tuffin, O. Parri, G. Luckhurst, “Bimesogenic compounds,” WO 2013004333 A1, Jan. 10, 2013.
- K. Adlem, O. Parri, R. Tuffin, B. Snow, M. Namutebi, “Bimesogenic compounds and mesogenic media,” WO 2013174478 A1, Nov. 28, 2013.
- K. Adlem, O. Parri, R. Tuffin, B. Snow, M. Namutebi, P. Saxton, “Bimesogenic compounds for nematic liquid crystal mixtures providing flexoelectric liquid crystal displays having high switching angles and fast response times,” WO 2014005671 A1, Jan. 09, 2014.
- J. Gorecki, B. Snow, R. Tuffin, O. Parri, “Light modulation element using cholesteric liquid crystal medium having flexoelectric effect,” WO 2016096076 A1, Jun. 23, 2016.