Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany is a multi-faceted company being comprised of three very distinct business units covering an unprecedented landscape of expertise connected by scientific curiosity. Leveraging the innovation potential at the intersection between disciplines offers a unique opportunity and competitive advantage. However, at times the sharing of knowledge within this interdisciplinary setting can be challenging. Therefore helping to connect scientists and enable this crucial exchange by fostering collaboration and critical discussion about new discoveries, innovative concepts and future trends is essential for bringing ideas from one field to another. I am striving to be part of this movement by actively connecting scientist from all units to develop novel products and create value.
By working in the health care field whenever we advance projects, develop new molecules or technologies we as scientist are rewarded. This extends far beyond having made a new discovery and quenching ones curiosity. It is the knowledge that ones efforts directly impact patients lives. This is the greatest reward!
Cross-functional collaboration and innovation with the goal to benefit patients.
Principal Scientist Medicinal Chemistry
Joined Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany: 2015
Key research fields and topics:
- Development of small molecule modulators in the field of immuno-oncology, immunology and oncology.
Prizes and awards:
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) /Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellowship (AvH)
- JSPS Research Grant
- AvH Postdoctoral Return Fellowship
CV & Scientific activities
- 2003 - 2007
- Pre-diploma and Diploma studies, Julius-Maximilians
University Würzburg, Germany, Research Internship at the Institute of Inorganic Chemistry, Research Internship at the Institute of Physical Chemistry
- Apr - Sep - 2007
- MIT Cambridge Massachusetts, USA, Research Topic: Towards the Total
Synthesis of Glycinoeclepin A.
- 2007 - 2008
- Diploma studies, Julius-Maximilians University Würzburg, Germany.
- 2008 -2009
- Julius-Maximilians University Würzburg, Germany, Diploma Thesis in Organic
Chemistry, Thesis Title: Multi-Heteroatom-Cope-Rearrangements of Oxazoline-N-Oxides– Research into Broadening of Scope and Applicability of this Method
- 2009 - 2012
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, ETH Zürich, Switzerland.
CV: Professional Career
CV: Professional Career
- Jan - Mar - 2013
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität
- 2013 - 2014
- JSPS/Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow, Tokyo Institute of Technology,
- 2014 - 2015
- Alexander von Humboldt Return-Postdoctoral Fellow, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster, Germany
- 2015 - 2017
- Senior Scientist (Lab head) Medicinal Chemistry, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, Biopharma
- 2017 - 2019
- Principal Scientist (Lab head) Medicinal Chemistry, EMD Serono, United States
Mar - Aug - 2019
Scientific Alliance Manager, EMD Serono (Biopharmat – Research and Development)
Principal Scientist (Technology Scout), EMD Serono (Strategy and Transformation Unit)
- Two patents in the field of immuno-oncology, 2018, submitted.
- Quinoxalines derivatives as Adenosine Receptor Antagonists and their preparation, E-M. Tanzer, K. Schiemann, M. Klein, WO 2019038214 A1 20190228.
- Benzimidazole derivatives as Adenosine Receptor and their preparation, E-M. Tanzer, K. Schiemann, M. Klein WO 2019038215 A1 20190228.
- Thiazolopyridine Derivatives as Adenosine Receptor Antagonists and their preparation, E-M. Tanzer, K. Schiemann, M.Klein, WO 2019025099 A1 20190207
- Total Synthesis of the Proposed Structure of Ardimerin, and Proposal for its Structural Revision.R. Nakayama, E-M Tanzer, T. Kusumi, K. Ohmori, K. Suzuki, Helv. Chim. Acta 2016, 99, 944-960.
- Chemistry without Bo(a)rders.E.-M. Tanzer, Chem. Rec. 2014, 14, 709–725. Invited Essay.
- Molecular Design Exploiting a Fluorine Gauche Effect as a Stereoelectronic Trigger.Y. P. Rey, E.-M. Tanzer, L. E. Zimmer, C. Sparr, W. B. Schweizer, H. H. Senn, S. Lakhdar and R. Gilmour,Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2014, 6, 1202-1211.
- Enantioselective Aziridination of Cyclic Enals Facilitated by the Fluorine-Iminium Ion Gauche Effect.G. Molnar, E.-M. Tanzer, C. Daniliuc and R. Gilmour, Chem. Eur. J. 2014, 20, 794-800.
- Fluorinated Organocatalysts for the Enantioselective Epoxidation of Enals: Molecular Pre-organisation by theFluorine-Iminium Ion Gauche Effect.E.-M. Tanzer, L. Zimmer, W. B. Schweizer and R. Gilmour, Chem. Eur. J. 2012, 18, 11334-11342. Selectedas a VIP Paper by the referees. Highlighted in CHIMIA.
- Designing Fluorinated Cinchona Alkaloids for Enantioselective Catalysis: Controlling Internal Rotation by aFluorine-Ammonium Ion Gauche Effect (ϕNCCF).E.-M. Tanzer, W. B. Schweizer, M.-O. Ebert and R. Gilmour, Chem. Eur. J. 2012, 18, 2006-2013.
- A Concise Synthesis of (S)-2-(Fluorodiphenylmethyl)pyrrolidine: A Novel Organocatalyst for theStereoselective Epoxidation of α,β-Unsaturated Aldehydes.C. Sparr, E.-M. Tanzer, J. Bachmann and R. Gilmour, Synthesis 2010, 1394-1397.
- A Novel One-Pot Procedure for the Stereoselective Synthesis of α-Hydroxy Esters from Ortho Esters.M. Breuning, T. Häuser and E.-M. Tanzer, Org. Lett. 2009, 11, 4032-4035.
Selected Conference Contributions:
- GAIN Conference 2019, San Francisco CA (USA), invited for two panel discussions.
- Organizer Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany internal Chemistry Symposium 2017 (Darmstadt, Germany) and 2018 (Burlington, USA)
- Gordon Research Conference 2017 (Medicinal Chemistry), New London NH (USA), poster: “Natural ProductSynthesis a Pitfall or Treasure Trove for Medicinal Chemistry- Ardimerin as a Case Study“.
- Bayer Postdoc Workshop 2015 (invite only), Tarrytown, NJ (USA), poster: “En Route to the Total Synthesis ofArdimerin and Ardimerin Digallate”.
- Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science Fellow Meeting 2014, Vienna (Austria), presentation: “Scienceand Life in Japan”.
- Humboldt Netzwerktagung 2014, Würzburg (Germany), poster and presentation: “Chemistry without Bo(a)rders”.
- The 94th Annual meeting of the Chemical Society of Japan 2014, Nagoya (Japan), presentation: “En Routeto the Total Synthesis of Ardimerin and Ardimerin Digallate”.
- ICCEOCA-8/NICCEOCA-4 2013, Osaka (Japan), poster: “En Route to the Total Synthesis of Ardimerin andArdimerin Digallate”.
- Tokyo Institute of Technology Mini-Symposium for Prof. Grubbs 2013, Tokyo (Japan), presentation: “TheFluorine Gauche Effect - Acyclic Conformational Control in Organocatalyst Design”.
- 4th EuCheMS Chemistry Congress 2012, Prag (Czech Republic), poster: “Fluorinated Organocatalysts for theEnantioselective Epoxidation of Enals: Molecular Pre-organisation by the Fluorine-Iminium Ion Gauche Effect”.
- Spring ACS Meeting 2012, San Diego, CA (USA), poster: “Designing Fluorinated Cinchona Alkaloids forEnantioselective Catalysis: Controlling Internal Rotation by a Fluorine-Ammonium Ion Gauche Effect (ϕNCCF)”